675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Running In A New Engine

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by superme79, Jun 10, 2008.

1. superme79

superme79

I am buying my first bike, a Daytona, at the weekend. My dealer said that the instructions for running the engine in stuck to the top of the tank are a little conservative and should be quicker or the engine power will be permanently reduced. Apparently race teams thrash the engines from the start to get the best power although this may be at the expense of engine lifetime. Does anyone have any opinions / experience with this matter? I've now read several conflicting opinions which is confusing for a new comer like me!

2. I have had some advice from a bike mechanic of give it 100-200 miles for everything to bed in, then give it the beans to get the best from it. But like you say everyone has different opinions, so i guess there is no definitive right answer :?

3. Cooler king

Cooler king

Take your time running don't thrash the nuts of it but don't labour it in too high a gear use the box vary your route cause there's no point getting higher bhp for a short period, from experiance it's a pain in the ass running a bike in but I've had my old speed triple 11 years from new and i'm glad i spent a bit of time running it in .

4. superme79

superme79

Thanks for your advice :)

5. i had similar advice from a Triumph mechanic, he said take it steady for 100 - 200 miles then ride it as you intend to ride it :twisted: but most importantly NEVER LET IT LABOUR.

6. Stu

Stu

Same here. Steady for the 1st 200 miles then thrash it. My 1st 675 did use a lot of oil though up to the first service then settled down.

7. i hear alot of people have this oil issue, i haven't had a problem YET.
    but i would be inetrested to know what methods people use to check the oil level, i find it a real pain in the arse. :x

8. superme79

superme79

I've done 250 miles now .. time to open it up a little more? I don't want to go too high on the revs though as the oil will be full of bits of metal at the moment. My dealer said keep it below 5500 for the first 300 miles then below 6500 for the next 200 miles. Also .. I only passed my test at the beginning of the month and this is my first bike so I'm still pretty scared!!!

9. It's all about variable load. give it some serious shit up to 3rd and the let of the throttle and let the engine break, reduce and full throttle again, and again engine breaking.
    Do not rev it over 10k yet. Just dont let it stay in lov revs for a logn period. keep changing the load on the motor and the pistons will seal nicely.
    Cheers

10. superme79

superme79

I took the bike for it's 500 mile service the weekend before last. The dealer said I should just ride it as normal after that so that's what I've been doing! Weee! It's pretty quick! Hopefully my engine running in was a success but I suppose it's difficult to tell. Either way it's done now.

11. hehehehe...have fun m8, i'm sure you will. :D