675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Running in ?

Discussion in 'General' started by redfreddie, Apr 8, 2009.

1. redfreddie

redfreddie

I'm still running my bike in and just wondered what you guys did when you were running yours in :?: I have done 230 miles so far, sticking to the 5000 rev limit except for a couple of overtakes ;) then it says from 300 miles to 500 miles to up the revs to 6000, then up to 1000 miles only up to about 8000 i think. I was planning to run it in up until 500 miles, have the servcie and then go for it, cant see the point going 1000 miles running in, what do you think :?:

2. That's what I did mate. My dealer said and I quote "you can now give it the berrys" after he'd done the service.

3. Rowly

Rowly

There will always be a difference of opinion on this contentious issue judging
    by previous posts but I would say this, Run your bike in the way Triumph advise
    all its owners to do, if you are tempted to thrash the nuts off it before the run in
    ends you may get lucky but if the engine goes bang you've only yourself to
    blame, But then don't take my advice, I haven't spent million of pounds in
    engine research like Triumph :?: :?: :?:

4. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Personnaly I ran the bike in over 3 night runs to Hull & back got the 500 out the way at the end of the week then gave it rice............... :evil: :twisted: Not all the time mind but she has run like a dream ;)

Give or take the three trips in with the Warning Light, The New Headers, Brake Pads, Tyres............ SH*T why did I bother........................ :?

Because I LOVE The BEAST :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

5. Stu

Stu

I took it easy for 100 miles then all bets were off. :twisted:

6. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Stu - Chicken Strip's - GONE :lol: :lol: :lol: :ugeek:

7. Stu

Stu

I should think so too :D

8. Graham H675

Graham H675

till u have ur 500mile service the bike is running on running in oil. So after ur 500mile service you should be ok but i would ask your dealer first

9. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

What's running in Oil :? :lol:

10. Graham H675

Graham H675

it's a very light oil desinged to put a minamul coating of oil on the contact serface eg piston rings, big end bearings etc so all the sufaces like that bedin nicely

11. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Top info Graham I never knew that :?

Lear something every day ;) :cool: :lol:

12. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I didn't baby mine, it had brutal treatment. I bought it at Fowlers in Bristol and I can remember I near wet myself with excitement when they wheeled it out the warehouse. I came back on the M32 (only a few miles from th City Centre) and before I knew it it was at 95. It has never missed a beat, it doesn't burn oil, and it starts first time every time.

What I don't understand is why you are supposed to run in bikes at all. All modern car engines are run in on a bench, so why are bikes any different?

13. Graham H675

Graham H675

car engines are not run in on a bench. If u buy a replacement engine then it will of been hot runin (run for 1hr with no coolant just oil and a cool air blower) for a car so no real need for a runin perioud but with a new car it is better to run in engine.