675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Scotlandshire Trip Match Report.

Discussion in 'General' started by Stu, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Stu

Stu

Well we’ve been back from Scotlandshire for nearly two weeks now and I haven’t told you anything about it. The ride up wasn’t rushed so we went up the A61 to Ripon then up the A68 to Edinburgh. We stopped the first night at an old RAF buddy of mine who I hadn’t seen for 8 years. We stopped in drinking and having a good laugh. The ladies went to bed leaving us to it and he told me he was playing around. Good on you I told him as his wife was a control freak who wouldn’t let him lead his own life. We were on the outskirts of Glasgow so he rode in with us on his Hardly Movingson and we met his new lady. Great improvement.

We had an uneventful but very nice ride up to Fort William with a little rain as we hit Glenn Coe. We checked in the B&B and had tea. Now this was a meet from another website and we were two days early. We knew there were 5 others up early so I decide to ring one of them to see which bar they were in. It turns out he’s a Tornado pilot and top bloke and in the hotel bar. We went round and met them all and it seemed a bit forced on the first night.

The next day was rain so we didn’t do much. A walk round Fort Bill then a ride in a cable car. Tea in Morrisons then back in the bar. A much more relaxed night as we had gotten to know each other.

The day after was a group ride in the rain. Most peeps were on VFR’s but the pace was quick for the conditions. The tonka pilot led and invited me and Jean for the next day’s ‘fast ride’.

The fast ride was really good. 6 viffers and 2 675’s. The viffers were very capable and we only could beat them on the really tight bends. Jean waved me through so I had a spirited ride with said pilot. While we were having fun Jean decided to try off roading on her 675. She has a phobia of down hill bends and took a sharp downhill right hander too quickly. She bottled it a bit and run off down a farm track. The bike started to high side and she held it upright, three times more it tried to bin her but she wasn’t letting go. She really impressed the following riders with her riding ability and the way she held the bike. I’m proud of her but the outcome could have been so different as the next day showed.

After a hard day’s riding and a night on the beer we wanted a quiet day. We decided to go to Mallaig for a bimble and lunch. I’d been ill all night but was starting to feel better. We set off back and I could see smoke in the distance. I though it was the Mallaig steam train but when we rounded the bend we were greeted with a car on fire with a bike underneath it. It had just happened and the bike died instantly. Talking to eye witnesses he was the architect of his own destruction and had done an overtake before a sharp left hander following his mate. He bottled it and pulled in clipping the car he was overtaking. This pushed him across the carriageway into an on coming car. The bike exploded instantly and set fire to the car. We knew the road would be closed for hours so out came the sat nav for a revised route. We were 20 miles from FW but the detour was 87 and we didn’t have the fuel for it. Back to Mallaig for fuel then on to the single track road detour. This was slow going and at one point we were stuck behind a queue of cars and 3 caravans. I managed to pick them all off on a single track road but nobody else got through. I tried going slow in front of the caravans but they still wouldn’t pull in and I was getting very wound up. In the end I just stopped in the middle of the road so the following bikes could get though. Wankers.

The next day was the ride home which was me and Jean and a one legged drummer from Darlington called Alivin. 350 boring miles and we were glad to get home. We had planned to stop at my RAF mate’s place again but he got caught out shagging around so we booked another night in FW but this time we stopped in the hotel were everyone else was stopping.

A brilliant time was had and there was over 50 people and over 30 bikes. No crashes from our party but a newish ZZR threw a rod and two viffers broke down. To say we didn’t know many of the people there they were a friendly bunch and we loved it. Everyone had such a good time another meet is being arranged in Harrogate for September.

I’ve post the pics before but the link is http://www.stukennedy.co.uk/junk/arse

After Jean’s off roading she now wants a GS :(

We only passed one other 675 in Scotland which was near Pitlochray then road with a yellow one on the M74 for a bit until we pulled in for fueol

2. kingfixer

kingfixer

Looked fantastic Stu, Scotland really is a beautiful place i havn't been up here for a few years. i'm really going to have to try and get back there soon. Mind you a trip to Scotland normally includes lots of :booze:

3. andysjt

andysjt

great pics , sounded like you both had an ace time , you cant beat going for a tour on your bike can you ?

trouble is you want more :lol: :lol:

im already planning my next one :lol: :lol:

4. jimjam39

jimjam39

How did you get on with the Helibars Stu ?

5. Stu

Stu

Now then Jimjam. The helibars are excellent. I won't be rushing to buy the Sprint :smileup:
    They aren't the magic bullet cure all but they are a major improvement over the stock bars. The ride home was the longest run at 350ish miles and I felt fine when I got home. Saying that, so did Jean with the stock bars.

I wouldn't have paid £280 for a new set as that is very steep but Woodcraft do some straight clipons for about £120.

With the more upright riding position the bike is easier to steer. I don't need to put as much input into the bars and it turns with the lean a bit like my old TT600 did :wave:

Anyone like me who does a lot of distance riding should consider some :)

6. Perhaps anybody doing a lot of long distance riding...

should have bought a tourer and not a Sports Bike :lol:

7. jimjam39

jimjam39

Thats true, but the look of the bike was (and still is) part of the appeal ! I don't like the looks of any tourers :)
    And thanks for the info Stu, it's given me something to think about (if I ever get my bike back :( ).