675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Sediment in water tank!

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by mikey675, Mar 31, 2009.

1. mikey675

mikey675

Hi guys the other day I had the fairing off the bike for a good cleaning session and I noticed some brown sediment in the water tank, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or know what it is.

Cheers Mike

2. Graham H675

Graham H675

really need to know what type of brown it is is it like a very light brown and floting

3. mikey675

mikey675

Its like a brown silt sitting in the bottom.

4. Graham H675

Graham H675

check your oil see if it has droped or any sings of brown in there

5. mikey675

mikey675

hey yeah the oil is the first thing i checked and there is no evidence of coolent in the oil and the level has not dropped. I belive if there was oil in the coolant it would float on top and not sit on the bottom. So i suspect its not a head gasket problem and something more related to the coolent system.

6. Graham H675

Graham H675

some time sits on the bottem but if u have no sings of oil loss or water in oil then h/g is more than likely out of the question. i'd be tempted to remove header tank get a small hand full of single or small stones put into tank add some fairy liquid and warm water sake vigorusly blocking all outlets and then drain and flush well out, should get rid of brown sediment. Then refit and moniter to see if returns

7. mikey675

mikey675

ahh i will do that thanks for the advice. Iv since been to triumph and they seem to think its common and nothing to worry about im not convinced. Any one else had this brown sediment?

8. Graham H675

Graham H675

i've not seen it in my bike did ask my dealer about it and said with out seeing it couldn't comment really. how old is ur bike????

9. mikey675

mikey675

The bike 15 months old with 3000 miles on the clock.

10. I have the same prolem with mine, as there is no evidents of a problem, I was thinking of going the cleaning the bottle out route. I will keep you informed. I glad I'm not the only one suffering this problem!

11. I spent a damp afternoon in the garage yesterday (no,the sun doesn't always shine in Cornwall!) & took the water header tank off & cleaned it. What was in the bottom looked like rust (not oil & water mixed, as I expected). I concluded that it must of been something that was left in the cooling system during manufacture, a little bit of swaff or grindings. If you decide to do the same, be very careful with the elbow on the overflow pipe, as mine was very brittle! Thats a trip to G.T. at the weekend, to order a new one!

12. mikey675

mikey675

ahh kool is it a difficult job to remove the tank? and doyou have to bleed the system afterwards?

13. You got to take the fuel tank off or, what I did was to prop the tank out the way. It's a bit fiddley getting to the bolts that hold the tank on, but not impossible! You need to just top the tank up after as you are not accuatly going into the cooling system.

14. I had this too. My coolant tank went a mucky brown. When I got the bike serviced I asked the dealer mechanic and he said it was quit common and Triumph have changed the coolant additive they use to stop it happening in future. He said it isn't bad .. just unsightly. He washed out the tank with a few loads of boiling water and refilled it with the new stuff.