675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

soft laquer !!!

Discussion in 'General' started by burt, Mar 22, 2009.

1. burt

burt

Hi , i picked up the tornado red 675 on 5th March , what a great bike , and a big improvment over my 06 model . Can anybody tell me why the dealer has to polish the bike before i pick it up ?. i mean its great to make it look shiny and waxed but , when you look close they have supplied polishing marks as standard . I would rather clean it up myself . I think they have pushed hard on the cloth , bugger , . only done 300 miles so far , but already suffering , the hinge in the back of my neck aint so young , maybe should have gone street triple R ?

2. I had the same deal when i picked up my new grey 675 a few years ago. In fact, my screen was replaced under warranty as there was excessive scracthes and rub marks on the screen. When the brand new screen was fitted the mechanic pulled out a polishing cloth from his pocket and gave it a rub down with some polish! Mmmmm....here we go again! Anyway, I sympathise with you. Now if you tuck behind the screen to check out the scratches from the inside your neck won't hurt as much! Jase

3. Rowly

Rowly

My screen has scratches all over despite only only having 100 miles recorded
    when I bought my SE, like chicken strip mentioned in an previous post the
    acrylic screens are susceptible to scratching, it states on page 85 of the
    owners hand book that minor scratches can be removed using a polishing
    compound suitable for plastic, but I don't think you can ever avoid getting
    polishing swirls or scratches on your bike :roll:

4. I'm really carefull to use clean clothes when I polish both my bike and car but still always find that I get those annoying polishing swirls.

Any tips to avoid this would be gratefully received.

My wife sugested spirit vinegar but then she thinks that everything should be cleaned with sprit vinegar (damn Kymm and Aggie, giving her weird ideas!)

5. Rowly

Rowly

I have always used Autoglym products both on car and bike and I am very
    careful and particular the way I clean and polish but the swirls always
    appear, as I have said I don't think there is any way to avoid them short
    of not polishing your bike at all, can someone tell Kim and Aggie we have
    moved on from the dark ages :lol:

6. burt

burt

yea thanks guys , i suppose the only way is to go for the matt finnish on a triple R . The dealer is willing to do a swap for my daytona but i loose money , too be expected after such a short time . I use crystal glo which is supossed to feed the paint . No worries , nice to know i am not the only one . Well i will see what they say tommorow .

7. Graham H675

Graham H675

auto glym products are very harsh on paint good for dull paint but always leave polishing swirls. I uses auto smart trade only product but could easily sort something out and i use the platium polish very little cutting compound in it so less swirls u could go all out and import some zane polish from the usa if still av and they used to say after 3 application no swirls can be seen.

8. Don't quote me on this but when I was a kid my dad used to use Brasso to polish fine scratches in plastic. It does work as long as the plastic doesn't have a coating such as (ironically) anti scratch.

Its prob no different to the proper autoglym stuff, i.e very small abrasive particles in a solution that does not react with the plastic. :ugeek: .

what a geek!

:)

9. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I use Maglia Car polish on paintwork and screen and it is great, gets rid of all the small imperfectons. :ugeek:

I bought the cloth too best £10 i have spent in a long time, i also have an American Sylicon polish which realy brings up the black and cleans off exess grease off the wheels. :geek:

At the end of the day the bike looks great and i work on the theory if your going fast enouph who cares if it shines :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: