675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Sprockets

Discussion in 'General' started by Stu, May 4, 2009.

1. Stu

Stu

Jean and me have just bought 4 rear sprockets and 2 fronts for £35 on eBay, they aren't new but they've only done 40 miles. Absoloute bloody bargain. Anyone know how to get the front sprocket off - think it may need air tools :(

2. Rowly

Rowly

As far as I know Stu the front sprocket nut has the highest torque setting of
    any other nut on the bike, so its going to be tight, not sure whether an air gun
    will spin it off, only other way is to lock the rear wheel against the swinging
    arm and use a breaker bar and maybe an extension on that to give you plenty
    of leverage to release the nut? ;)

Stu, you can use another breaker bar or something solid wrapped in an old towel
    to stop marking your wheel and swinging arm, get Jean to hold the bar in place
    while you lock on with the sprocket nut ;)

Torque wrench setting for sprocket is 85NM, you are advised to use a new tab washer
    and apply Threebond 1347 to the threads ;)

3. Stu

Stu

cheers Rowly but typed in vane ;) I've enlisted a Triumph mechanic to pop round to change them. He's no air tools but he says he'll get them off. The rear will is 110Nm so that beats the sprocket :D

4. Rowly

Rowly

Always happy to oblige Stu, good news with the your spanner man, you can
    get the job done twice has quick ;)