675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Squeak at 4.5k

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by superme79, Jul 27, 2008.

1. superme79

superme79

I get a short audible squeak when accelerating through 4.5k revs in any gear. Does anyone know what this might be? It's only started happening in the last 2 days. I can't pin point location or much else about it unfortunately.

2. Stu

Stu

Yep. I do. Annoying isn't it. :D

3. Stu

Stu

It's the air intake flapper valve which is situated behind the mesh at the front of the bike. It opens at 4.5k.

4. aaaahhh, i wondered what that sound was too.

5. Stu

Stu

If your bike is less than 2 years old, put in a warranty claim. I did and the garage greased it for me. It is a job you can do yourself but the front fairing has to come off which is a ball ache.

6. superme79

superme79

Thanks for your help guys! :)

7. Also you can tune this squeak out buy making the flap open sooner rather than later.. for memory i think with the TOR tune the flap will open at aroun 900RPM so it will be open when idling and will not be noticable.

8. Stu

Stu

....or you can take the flap out all together.

9. peter

peter

Had this annoying squeak start on mine a couple of weeks ago. Rather than take the fairing off I used the thin, red, plastic, squirter nozzle from a can of WD40 and smothered the end in grease. It went through the gauze mesh at the front of the air intake and i then covered the section of the valve that you can see. It took a couple of reapplications but I gave it all a coat including the hinges on the flapper. Pleased to say the squeak has gone and it took me all of 5 minutes......

Cheers

Peter

10. Nathan

Nathan

Sounds like a good trick, I might give that a go (as I put mine in to get fixed, and it still squeaks.. bloody mechanics never do the job properly!)