675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Squeaking sound

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by St.George, Apr 5, 2010.

1. St.George

St.George

Am guessing this has probably been mentioned before but can't find it so here goes:

When I get up to 70+ there is a squeaking sound that comes from the front of the bike. Anyone know what this is and is it normal?

Thanks in advance

2. Carpel21

Carpel21

Got a better description, as in does it happen at the same speed in every gear, or the same rpm? Where does it sound like it's coming from?

3. Conks

Conks

Mine squeaks under harsh acceration or briskly at 4.5k, seems to be the value at the front of the bike for air flow, just ride through mine now..

Unless you live on a farm and a mouse could get scared at 70+ :?

:D

4. Carpel21

Carpel21

At 4.5k rpm is about where the intake flapper opens and is known for getting squeeky. Also the EXBV can do the same at about the same rpm. If it does it when you first turn the ignition on it's the EXBV, or if it's only at a certain rpm while riding it's the flapper.

5. St.George

St.George

Couldn't tell you the exact rpm if I'm honest, I'll go for another blast tomorrow and take more notice. Doesn't seem to matter what gear I'm in, just when I get up around the 70 mark for a prolonged period. It's not annoyingly loud or anything, just wondered if it was a common problem.

6. I get a squeaking sound from the rear of the bike when ever I carry a pillion. The sound comes from just behind and above my head and is normally accompanied by a very nasty smell (like poo). As soon as I drop off the pillion the sound and smell goes. I have no idea what causes it or where it comes from.

7. St.George

St.George

Been for another blast today (120 miles :D ) and didn't hear the squeaking noise once so not quite sure what was going on yesterday. :?

Anyway, I've said it before and will say it again - WHAT A BIKE!!!

8. Carpel21

Carpel21

:lol:
    St George - Not to worry then. If it does come back try squirting some silicon spray into the intake at the flapper hinges with a straw on the nozzle. Make sure to not do it with the bike running though and be carefull to not spray straight down the snorkle and cover the air filter.

9. I get the squeak. It's either the little flapper in the air intake or I have a mouse stuck in the nose, if its the latter, its been in there since last summer.

10. I pretend the flapper squeek is my bike talking to me congratulating me on improving my cornering and narrowing my chicken strips even further. Such a friendly 675 :)

11. St.George

St.George

Something I need to work on too :oops:

Why is it that you feel like your getting the bike over but when you get home and look at the back tyre those strips are just laughing at you!!!

12. Carpel21

Carpel21

Need some nice long sweepers. If you want a really long turn practice on, try the A303 onramp at wincanton heading westwards. 270 degree uphill left hander. Unfortunately it's a one hit wonder as you then have to go a few miles along the 303 until you can get off, then a few miles back to try again. Can hit it coming off the 303 too if your coming from east of wincanton but it's only 90 degrees that way.

13. St.George

St.George

Will definitely bare that one in mind mate. Just been out for a quick blast again, couldn't resist with the weather being like it is - situation no change on the strips tho :lol:

14. fkkr1s

fkkr1s Moderator Staff Member

:lol: I had to laugh St George.. I went out for a blast tonight and I really felt that the bike and me were getting much further over :D Got back in the garage and nothing had changed.. :eek: I think I must be hanging off further and the bikes staying up... :lol: :lol: Oh well I enjoyed the ride and that's what its all about. :D

15. This is cheating but it works. When you get to a lovely corner instead of hanging off the bike stay upright and go with the bike at the same speed you normally would. What happens is the bike has to lean more to get around the corner and because you are more upright you don’t feel worried and you strips will get smaller.

When you hang off a bike your body weight lets the bike to stay more upright and therefore with a larger contact patch and more grip so you can go faster. Hanging off does not make the bike lean further the whole point is to try and keep the bike upright so you have more drive and grip.

If you want to lean further you have to overcome the bodies natural reaction of "Shit the road is getting closer to my face, I will not lean any further." and just push on the inside bar. I find that I get more lean and knee down (on private rds) by going faster and not hanging off as much. It’s a fine balance.