675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Stainless bolts

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Stu, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Stu

Stu

I've changed the chain adjuster bolts on both 675's for stainless ones some time before Xmas. I've adjusted the chain today and the bolts are very hard to move. Question is this:

Will stainless bolts chemically (or any other) react with the alloy inserts in the swing arm? Are they okay in there or should I put some alloy ones back in?

Cheers,

2. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I noyiced that when I picked up mine fro the service all th bolts had been greesed by the lads in the shop? I have also founnd that when the rear arm bobins were screwed in they stuck. Sorry if I'm waffling but up shot is no matter what bolts are used thy will get corroded due to crap UK weather. Thats my opinion............ :?

3. Stu

Stu

Hi Jap

I've posted this on another site and there is mention of cold welding or galling which I think is what you are saying. I'm going to take them out and put some copper grease on them.

4. Graham H675

Graham H675

stainless in alloy always fun pull out and grease mate no matter what bolt u use ally will alway weater/corred to it. Alloy is just a poor material when weatered. when ever i wash my bike or it gets wet out comes the wd40 and a quick spray around to get rid of the dampnees in the little holes etc