675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Steering damper

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveH, Jul 8, 2009.

1. SteveH

SteveH

2. graycat

graycat

to be honest I haven't even noticed the OEM one yet. As / when I get to that point I'd have a look at those boys though as they seem to do some good kit.

3. May be a stupid question, but how much difference does the OEM steering damper make and do fitting aftermarket ones make any noticable difference at all.
    Cheers

4. I am going to fit a sat nav at some point, these ones will stop you doing that if ever you wanted to.

5. SteveH

SteveH

Fortunately for me I'll never fit a nav to a sportsbike. Kinda goes against the ethos of the bike I think.

The OEM damper is supremely she-ite so not much difference, but a good aftermarket one can transform the way the bike feels and you can set it up to your style of riding.

Cheers

Steve

6. Cheers, but in what way does it transform the way the bike feels?

And are there none that would go in the same place as the OEM one

:)

Thanks again

7. SteveH

SteveH

A steering damper is basically a miniature shock absorber for your steering. They slow down steering input, and their primary benefit is found on bikes which get their front wheels light or off the ground altogether (ie bikes that are uber light like the 675) under acceleration. They’ll help prevent you from turning the wheel while it’s light/off and thus produce a wiggle, wobble, or tank-slapper when the wheel is loaded up again. This gives you greater confidence when nailing it. Of course there is always a trade off and you might think the front end feels slightly dull when the steering dampers on a higher setting but thats where adjustable ones come into play, so you find a right balance for your riding style. The harder the setting the more effort required to turn the bars, but the more stability generated. The lower the setting, less effort to turn the bars, more instability under hard acceleration etc etc.

I'm pretty sure you could get an ohlins one or an arrow one that would fit the same style as the OE unit. I just happened to stumble across the bulldog unit and quite liked the idea of it being adjustable on the move rather than having to stop the bike and get under the front to it's OE location. That and the fact that the OE unit is more likely to get crud thrown at it under where it is where as the bulldog would be in relative safety ontop of the bars.

Steve

8. thanks for that - pretty much what i thought, never thought about the getting covered in crud or the adjustable in the move , but then again im not sure i would ever adjust it. there must be other ones taht will fit and be adjustable as well

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi ,I had a GPR damper on my 675 until I sold the bike,.
    Just before I sold the bike I took it off and put the standard back on.
    What a difference the bike felt , unstable going into corners and shaking its head on any bumps in the corners.
    It took me a good hour to get used to the feel of the bike again.
    I really do recommend an aftermarket damper, it would make a big difference to how you ride the bike.
    But if you are a steady rider don't waste your money .
    But if you still want one I recommend the GPR damper :)

10. SteveH

SteveH

The Bulldog and GPR are very similar in look are they not?? Mind you some of the prices I've seen for them aren't the cheapest.

£220 for the damper and another £120 for the fixing kit for the GPR and only £300 all in for the Bulldog (which incidentally is used by T3 Racing).

Hmmmm decisions, decisions!

Steve

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I still have the GPR damper and fitting kit if your interested Steve. :?:

12. SteveH

SteveH

Could well be mate but price is a bit of an issue as I've just booked 2 trackdays which I'm pretty sure is going to mean 2 new tyres lol. What were you after for it?

Steve

13. kingfixer

kingfixer

What colour is it mate

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi .its a red and black GPR steering damper.
    If anybody is interested please send me a pm, open to sensible offers .

15. I need more info Ian. What version is it?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its the GPR 4 , black base and red dial . With 20 settings on the dial :)

17. do you know if its possible to adjust the oe steering damper