675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Stomp Grips

Discussion in 'General' started by keithspurs2000, May 2, 2009.

1. keithspurs2000

keithspurs2000

Who can give me feed back on stomp grips? Should i spend £35 on a set to help protect the paint on my tank? Which set should i get a black set for my black bike or a clear set?

2. The Fridge

The Fridge

hey keith, i havn't got any but i think the black ones look better,
    the clear ones show up too much

3. keithspurs2000

keithspurs2000

I dont think i agree mate. If you look at Japs photos on here his show up a bit (black on black) but theres a red one with clear grips that dont. I need to see clear on black and then i'll know. Anyone got a black bike with clear stomp grips?

4. The problem with CLEAR ones on a BLACK bike of ANY make is that the air that inevitably gets trapped underneath when fitting shows up much more on BLACK paintwork whereas the BLACK Stompgrips hide the air.

CLEAR ones work best on RED or GRAPHITE.

Whatever you decide make sure the tank is free of any polish especially if yours contains Silicone and use a Hair Dryer to help with keeping the Stomps soft when fitting (Sometimes soft is Good) :lol:

Midgeman.

5. AcB46

AcB46

6. The Fridge

The Fridge

me too, i like the high fusion ones, the synthetic rubber

7. I went with http://www.invisiblepatterns.co.uk/pain ... iumph.html

didn't have any probs with bubbles but the headlight patches are a bit tricky, main problem is the edges show up when you wax/polish the bike.

I've heard the stomp grips help with knee grip when hanging off the side but personallly I like to slide around a bit

8. spike

spike

have you got the whole bike kit chickenstrip?
    and do you reccommend it ,like yourself i like to move around on the bike and im looking for something to protect the trumpets fragile paint job

9. SteveH

SteveH

Hi,

Not wanting to poop on the parade but surely the venture shield paint protection kit and the Stomp/Techspec grips are two completely different things for completely different applications and therefore cannot really be compared?

The Ventureshield kit (which I have to admit I have been looking at recently) is a film to protect the bikes paintwork and nothing else, where as the Stomp/Techspec grips are specifically designed pieces of kit to be fitted on the tank to aid with rider grip when locking on with their legs and aid stability when hanging off the bike (which I've also been looking at but really aren't sure about ;) )

Of course there will be an inherent bonus with the Stomp/Techspec grips protecting the paint around the tank as they are covering the paintwork, but IMO they are pretty ugly. Which is why I'm trying to evolve my riding style so as not to require them :p I mean you wouldn't want to cover your whole bike in stompgrip would you, even if there was a pre-cut kit available? Where as the venture shield (from what I've heard) is fairly invisible, and looking at the kit is applied to pretty much every panel.

I'll probably get the ventureshield in the end and do most of the front end of the bike, but more to aid with stonechips than anything else. But until someone comes up with either a good looking Stomp/Techspec grip, thats not going to shatter the lines of what is, lets face it one of the prettiest bikes available today I'll be holding off on getting them ;)

Cheers

Steve

10. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

11. I've got stompgrips and they are brilliant. I didn't get them to save the paint though, I got them to stop me sliding around too much.

Have a look at my gallery, there are a couple of pics in there.

12. binman

binman

just my 2p!

For 2007 and 2008 I raced an r6 with NG roadracing. First half of the season in 2007 i struggled badly with what i would class as severe arm pump. Spoke to a few people and a couple of suggestions was to fit stomp-grip, the theory being that u grip with the inside of your thigh on the opposite leg thats stuck out grinding away around a corner....

Results.....unbeleivable difference, went from having to strap my wrists up for a week after racing, to just your average expected arm pump. stomp grips work very well if you are the type of rider who uses their body position a lot to stable/unstable the bike...

however its not for everyone, every racer i knew was different, some liked the extra grip, some liked to be able to slide around. hope this helps!!

13. kingfixer

kingfixer

I ordered mine from 'Techspec USA' i just picked them up this morning from post office as i missed the postie on tuesday. They look great i will some pics when i have fitted them, they took about 10 days (not bad) :D . With the exchange rate they cost about £40 and no import tax !! :D :D :D :D

14. SteveH

SteveH

I wait in anticipation to see a full write up and photo's of these ;)

Cheers

Steve

15. jimjam39

jimjam39

Me as well :)

16. me too..want to see piccies :lol:

17. The Fridge

The Fridge

im waiting too kingfixer for them pics...

18. kingfixer

kingfixer

I will try and get the pics on tomorrow, i have been too busy fitting the new kitchen & painting to do them :( :( it's not finished yet but im having a day off to go out on the bike :D :D :D