675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Stompgrips

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by OnlyOneWayHome, Jan 26, 2009.

1. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Have just bought some stompgrips (thanks Midgeman) and I was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips that go beyond the standard instructions on fitting them?

2. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

All I can say is when I fitted mine, they went on a dream and peeled off a nightmare every ride out till I re fitted them further back. Oh and if you wash your bike and do as I do leave it running then when finished cover it over with the old blanket.... Sad I know, they will fall off so watch this space.

Still give the bike a totally different feel.

Let me know how you go, they do peel off very easily if you dot get them spot on first time.

Good luck with the fitting.

3. I believe the secret is to make sure the area on the tank is completely clean and free from any Silicone based Polish before you start.

I always clean any paintwork with Methylated Spirit or good old fashioned Petrol on a lint free cloth and then buff up with a dry lint free cloth Microfibre ones are the best (you can get a pack of two from Poundland for YES you've gessed it £1.00).

Before applying a Tank Protector or any kind of Sticker or Grafics I also make sure the tank is warm (no naked flames of course) I find a Hair Dryer is a good option do not try and fit on a cold day outside as you will be trapping cold air which as we all know contains water.

Also as with any kind of adhesive based fitment the longer you leave it before riding the bike the better.

I have seen these Grips fitted to lots of Track Bikes and they appear to stick like Sh.......t to a blanket so it must be how they are fitted in the first place.

Good luck.

Midgeman.

4. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I cleaned the tank with meths cloths - wife an ex nurse so readilly available. the problem I had was the fact that tey were too far forward and had a fold at the front that did not stick. ther on now but the cold air keeps poping them off every now and again. Protection wise they are 100% Great.

Great grip on heavy breaking and nice feel when hangin off. :geek:

5. Strange to find that you have had issues with them not adhering properly. When I fitted mine to my R6 (admitingly a different tank and shape etc.) they went on really well and have never budged. I'd go as far as to say I could hang from them!

6. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Well two months in and they are well and trully in place now so must have been down to the steam coming off the bike after washing that caused the problem. Like the man elsheepo ;) .......where did you find him :?:

7. ...he just reminds me of being at work LOL

8. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Thanks for the hints. I've got a cold leaky garage, so with the current weather, I've still not been able to apply them.