675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Stopped Smoking

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stu, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Stu

Stu

Has anyone successfully stopped smoking. I usually manage 2 months then either get depressed or angry. This time I've been stopped for about two and a half months and I've been depressed all week. I'm hoping it's the weather and time of year as I'm not even thinking of smoking.

Anyone else had a similar experience and how did you cope. To be fair I feel a little bit brighter today.:)

2. I've been 'clean' for 18 years :D I got through the early stages with the help of the missus being really supportive & sympathic :) I know I was a real gruppy sod to start with :evil: Keep it up,it worth it in the end,not getting out of puff pushing the bike out the garage :!:

3. jimjam39

jimjam39

I been off them for just coming up to 4 years at the end of the month. It does not bother me any more,I sort of miss the atmosphere in some of the pubs, and frequently pop out to smoing areas with mates who still smoke when we are out on the lash, its like a little community ! The first six months I personally found the hardest.

4. jimjam39

jimjam39

God, youve got me thinking about fags now !!! :lol:

5. i found an instant cure for the cravings.....i lit up a fag, but i lasted 2 months aswell....going to try again with the tablets, everyone ive spoken to say they really work...we'll see but stick with it, youll be glad you did

6. Stu

Stu

Don't do the tables. I went psychotic. When it all goes wrong and you want to start again then you don't get the hit of the nicotine for a few days. This time I used acupuncture and apart from this week being depressed, it's been easy. £75, money well spent. :D

7. I've been off them for 9 years (with the exception of the odd cigar on holiday).

I smoked 20 a day and more when I was stressed at work. I kept quiting and managing 2 months before I was back on them. Before I quit for good I did manage about 6 months with hardly any cravings. I had joined a gym and went religiously. As soon as I started skiping the gym, I found that my cravings came back.

I finally quit by weening myself off them and not being in situations where the people around me smoked. I smoked Regal and switched to Regal lights, then after a while switched to silk cut lights. I then started to cut down the number of fags I smoked in a day. Admitidly some days i did smoke more. Once I had got it down to about 2 a day, I just used the will power and quit.

As for the situations, at the same time, I changed jobs and the new team of people i worked with didn't smoke (they all had in my old job). This meant that I didn't feel the need to go and be with smokers.

I know that the latter is probably not practical but the cutting down in strength and quantity really worked.

8. i'm gonna have another crack at it on Monday, wish me luck, or rather, wish my family luck (another session of the grumps)

9. Good luck and you're right, having the family on side for support and understanding why you've become a monster is a key part.

10. Absolutely,the support of your family is very important and if you can keep away a smokey enviorment,all the better.At least you can go down the pub these days & keep away from it :!: Just don't weaken when you've got a few drinks on board :lol: Good luck to you all,you & your family will appricate the improvents to your quality of life.

11. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I stopped for about 2 months when i went through a 'healthy liviing' spell, but then beginning of the year i thought screw it, you're here for a good time, not a long time. Although saying that, I don't smoke nearly as much as i used to

12. Stu

Stu

I've booked myself back in to the acupuncture clinic to give me a little lift. Hopefully I should feel happier after my visit.

13. andysjt

andysjt

stopped smoking fags 8 years ago , but went onto the cigar's just one at weekends at first but soon upto one every night managed to keep it at that for 4 years then packed up altogether two years ago .

I wouldn't say it was easy but having got used to just one cigar a day it wasnt that bad , didnt need any help with patches or doctors anyway

do i miss a smoke ? it has poped into my head now & again but less & less these days, but so far iv managed to get over it , i hope i never start again

anyone thinking of packing up please have a go , get some help if you need to , but the benifits are there at the end, if you can last 6 months then it get easy

14. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Started when I left home at 18 smoked for 3 weeks got septerseemia, glangela fever and went for 9 stone to 6 and a half in 6 months of illness............................... never smoked since :geek: (sorry about crap spelling)

15. Stu

Stu

Got me acupuncture now and I'm feeling much better. I'm a slightly happier bunny :)