675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Strange noise and vibration

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by DaytonaSparky, Sep 24, 2009.

1. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

I am not sure if someone can help...but I thought I would see!

I have recently fitted a Triumph adjustable clutch lever and done a few other checks and tightened the chain a bit.

After I did this and rode the bike, I now notice a very strange noise and a bit of a vibration in my left foot peg when I come off the gas at around 50mph+.

It doesn't happen at lower speeds or when I am sat still and just revving the engine (I have therefore decided that it is probably not the engine, but more likely something that is moving only when the bike is moving). I can't really describe the noise and it is very faint and hard to hear at that speed with the wind noise....but it is more the vibration that worries me.

Does anyone think that the clutch lever or chain adjustment could be the culprit?

2. Your clutch housing is the other side so probably not the clutch lever, more likely the chain adjustment or cam chain seems to be another popular one

3. adjust the chain and should solve the problem either that or maybe you got a bolt loose somewhere??

4. jimjam39

jimjam39

It seems odd that after you made adjustments you started having vibrations. That points to the chain I would think :geek:

5. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

Thanks guys....my brother and I made a paddock stand, so I put it up on that....found the tight spot and mesured the free play.....only 20mm.......so according to the manual a bit too tight.

I have now loosened the chain a little and I have only ridden this morning but it seems to be a bit better....but need to ride a bit more to make sure!

Thanks for the advice all!