675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Suspicious Noise?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by mike675se, Aug 7, 2008.

1. mike675se

mike675se

Do you ever get that feeling that half way through a ride you bike starts making a noise that it wasn't doing before? I've had it before, after a long journey but this time i'm convinced something is not right.

It seems that when the bike is at idle there is a faint, rythmic, tapping noise (as if it was the tappits). But the bikes only done 2800 miles? And I'm sure the tappits shouldn't need doing this soon.

It's not causeing any problems with the bike other than the more I think about it, the more it bothers me.

Cheers guys

2. Stu

Stu

I Mike

Only thing I can think off is the cam chain tensioners. If the bike is still under warranty then let the dealer sort it out.

3. mike675se

mike675se

Yeah it is. Didn't wanna take it in and be another paranoid rider. LOL. No harm in taking it in though.

4. Stu

Stu

Always best to check it out. It's covered under warranty so you're not out of pocket. A TT600 rider was complaining of noises from the engine and didn't get it check out. The engine blew and he was out of pocket big style.

At least the mechanics may give you some peace of mind. That's got to be worth something.

5. mike675se

mike675se

All booked in. A week on friday mind! It'll be just my luck that the weather will perk up next week. LOL at least all the other d675 riders will get to enjoy it.

6. If you take it in and they dont find anything, and it goes pop then you have some ground to fight on! If you ignore it and it goes pop your in a whole world of hurt, I know it sounds a bit daft but i was talking to the guy who always services my bike, an independant bike shop, and he knows of the cam tensioner problem, and said if the oil is even slightly below full it can make that vibrating sound, so it might be something as simple as oil level, worth a quick check, although i am never sure how to be accurate as you have to hold the bike one handed or stand on it and undo then redo then undo the dipstick all whilst the engine is hot! and make sure it is perfectly level... Go triumph!

7. Cooler king

Cooler king

Mine developed a noise at the weekend after giving it some stick not sure what's causing it but im begining to suspect bottom end :( out of warranty and luck apparantly .