675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Tank Protection? Grip?

Discussion in 'General' started by clarkiediver, Jun 13, 2008.

1. clarkiediver

clarkiediver

Can anyone help. I've just started to notice that my leathers are starting to scratch the sides of my tank when gripping with my knees (it just asks to go faster and faster!) I've fitted a Triumph carbon tank protector (black)and bought a sheet of clear film and cut two shapes out and stuck them on, but it 'looks crap'. Anyone got any suggestions? Anyone tried 'Stomp Grips'? :?:

2. I am having the same problem so will be interested in ideas?!

3. Stomp grips are awesome, I highly recommend them.

That being said, however... They're not the most aesthetically pleasing thing on the bike. Makes it look a little "street fighter". Other than that, they're great.

4. Cooler king

Cooler king

I've got a clear 3 piece protector on my tank but it was on the bike when I bought it ,think it was fitted from new by the triumph dealer in Glasgow , might be worth a try Triumph Glasgow | Renfrew | 0141 561 7521

5. i've just fitted some pads from Tech Pec USA, they're an alternative to the Stomps and so far so good.

where the Stomps are transparent with very large volcano shaped pimples, the Tech Specs are black grippy rubber-like material with a sort of snakeskin texture.

both do a great job m8, just depends which "look" you prefer.

6. iron urchin,
    I just fitted the tech specs to i got the snake skin moss ones . I have a pic ,but i got to find it so ill post it later. but Iove them . I tried the stomp grips but they were really time comsuming and you had to rub your finger in between the nipples and it just was hard to keep all the air bubble to stay out ,anyway the tech specs take like 5 minutes and your done. and the look is growing on me.

7. Stu

Stu

8. I've got a grey masterbike and the stompgrips look awesome on it. I got the transparent ones and they really compliment the colour scheme. They also prevent me dislocating my thumbs when braking as I can clamp myself to the tank.

9. Daytonadave

Daytonadave

I use to use the oxford bits and bobs but they keep falling off, :x

Having read the posts will fit the stompgrip I have had laying on lounge floor for past 2 weeks now
    :)

10. clarkiediver

clarkiediver

Just for an update seen as I started this post I fitted Stomp grips and they are working a treat and look great. I have an 675SE so fitted black grips and they really look the business (Tip: used the wife's hairdryer for application and took my time expanding all the air bubbles out) and really do help gripping the bike. Will post a picture soon!

11. Here's a pic of the transparent stompgrips on my Masterbike graphite grey Daytona

Attached Files:

12. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

This is waht they look like in black on black :twisted:

ai390.photobucket.com_albums_oo341_Jap_Sti_3_2008_Triumph675039.jpg

13. I went out this weekend for the first time since fitting my stompgrips. They are brilliant and would recommend them to anyone. Everything from cornering, braking and even accelerating feels better and safer.

Just a pain in the arse to fit.

14. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I'll second that Only...... Mine fell off after a 150 blast on a track obviously.......... they just fell off. Not impressed but I do miss them so may get another set just not off ebay :x :( :geek:

15. So far no problems but then I've only done about 140 miles with them on though I have achieved resonable speeds without a problem. I think it will be interesting when I wash her.

16. JDB

JDB

And here's some pics of Stomp Grips on a yellow bike
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v353_JonB427_IMG_2954Custom.jpg
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v353_JonB427_IMG_2956Custom.jpg
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v353_JonB427_IMG_2955Custom.jpg
    No problems with mine coming off with either riding or washing.

17. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

so overall everyone here recommends the grips? do the grips make much of a difference to riding / controlling the bike? compared to a bike without?

18. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I would say the grips really improve the feel of the bike but did used to slow the slide from side to side down quite considerably. I like to flick from side to side when the road allows and with the grips on it proved a little difficult at times.

Without them the movement is smoother and doe not take as much thinking about. The thing I have noticed since they have been offf is the amount I do tend to grip the tank with my legs as increased.

I am debating weather or not to get another set, I will probably leave it till after the Europe Trip.

19. As I'm still re-building my experience and skill, I found that they gave me an instant increase in confidence. I'm not back to the level where I am hanging off each side of the bike yet but I have found that I feel safer to break later and accelerate harder and it obviously makes life with a pillion a lot easier.

20. Stu

Stu

Looks good on a red bike. Got me thinking that a grey scale one would look nice on a black bike :D
    [​IMG]