675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Taping PM’s phone call, The Sun & 5 mins of fame

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Anonymous, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous

I have just listened to the phone call made by the PM to a grieving mother that just lost her son – here are my thoughts….

What is wrong with British society nowadays that everyone wants there 5 minutes of fame? (Sick to death of naff, badly made reality shows)
    I think it’s bad taste of this woman to be persuaded by The Sun have this private phone available via their website.

Its not many world leaders (Like it or not, Brown is) that will personally write a letter and then make a phone call to clarify / apologise that his scribble cannot be clearly understood. (Maybe having sight in one eye is to blame)

People should have a read the poem ‘The Charge of the Light Brigade’ as these words forever ring true…

Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:

Soldiers know exactly what they are letting themselves in for.
    Programs like Ross Kemp in Afghan are having amazing recruiting results and the British Army is at full strength for the fist time in years…
    Depending on the chosen branch/trade within the Army, there are set periods within basic training and once you ‘are in’ that you can sign off or even buy yourself out.

I would wager she would be would upset if she received a typed or photocopied letter instead.

Time for a cuppa

2. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I don't like Gordon Brown. I think he's inept, a shambles. But I feel that deep down he does care about our armed forces and I think that his letter should be taken in the spirit in which it was clearly intended.

3. henrymc

henrymc

i agree with you Ed, he did not start they mess over there, and who can read their Doctors hand writeing :?: as regarding the Sun toiletpaper,
    its nothing but full of shit, lies and half truiths anyway,
    Twenty years ago it was full of ant Irist crap today its printed in Ireland, How the fuck the Irish Govermint let Murdock set up there i do not know and now in the Irish Version they have all the crap about calling French people Frogs and other derogatory names for other nationality's, that shit keeps racial tension going, also all the rest of the shit they have been feeding the people over here for years, Anyone remember the shit they printed during the Miners strike? I have talked to a lot of exMiners and i can tell you that things were a bit different to what papers like the Sun printed,
    The people in Liverpool have the right idea, as today a lot of people there will still not buy it and a lot of newsagents will not sell it also after what they printed about the Hillsborough disaster.
    If you open it and look through it it is also full of usless items about usless crapheads looking for their fifteen minutes of fame as if that was something important, wankers who want to be famous so they dont have to do a days work but just so they can get attention, how is that shit relavant to peoples lives, its papers like the Sun Toiletpaper that have been a big help in as some have said on here, The undermineing of society today in this country,
    comments and sugestions welcome,

4. Anonymous

Anonymous

Been following this story and the Sun’s decision to play it, it seems that the Mother /The Sun are breaking the law as you cannot record conservation with the other party knowing – hence all the ‘this call can be recorded to training purposes’

It’s a dirty trick and the PM cannot take this further without massive fallout from the gutter press.

5. D41

D41

I cannot believe that ANYONE in the UK takes 'The Sun' seriously - it's absolute & total journalistic crap aimed purely at people who consider a CSE grade 3 to be the educational equivalent of a miner's doctorate - what utter shite!!

6. henrymc

henrymc

Well at least that's a comment Darren, i suppose you have a point there, maybe thats why it sells so many copys every day. :rotfl:

7. henrymc

henrymc

I think I like threads that, no matter what the subject matter is, they always devolve into a giant p*sstake!!

+1 :cheers: :stir: :smileup:

8. D41

D41

OOOPS!! - Didn't think that anyone on here would read "The Sun" - No offence intended. :oops:

I'll get me coat.

9. Edski675

Nay Darren lad, you sit right back down. I hate it too, I never read/buy it. I work a day a week in Liverpool - in fact I'm there tomorrow - and nobody there buys it cos of what they said about Hillsborough.

The piece about Brown was poor. They splashed that woman's grief and suffering across the front page, for all the world to see, when what they really wanted was to increase sales. She was used.

10. D41

D41

Phew! - Close one!

I thought that maybe I had pissed some members off with my comment re; "The Sun". - But, to be honest it is a rag that I have always hated with a passion - British journalism at it's very worst & then some IMO. Then again, some like it & 'each to their own' etc.....

Brown....don't like him one bit, but he's in a tough spot - thrown into the job on Blair's whim et al - & whether or not I agree with his politics (I don't) - he obviously believes that his decisions will only affect the UK in a positive way. Never mind, - he'll be gone soon enough & the Tories will have their shot...

11. Just to be controversial, I like Brown. Well, let me rephrase that, I don't like him at all. He's boring. Even more boring in person. But he is a bright man, very intelligent. And that is more than can be said for most politicians.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm loosely with you on this one as I also believe that GB is genuine at his core.
    The poor bloke was on a downer from the moment PM Blair deciding he would jump ship.
    While GB don’t have (Thank goodness) the same arrogance and utter self belief (no matter what consequences) as his predecessor.
    He took over a government that very unpopular due to numerous U-Turns (EU referendum being one) and knowing he would be out of office if/when an election was held.

The helicopter fiasco which is getting more TV hours than it deserves cannot be solved over night. There aren’t showrooms full of aircraft and more importantly, there aren’t sufficient trained pilots to fly them.
    Throw in the equation that UK placed an order for a number of Chinooks from the US but by they time were delivered a software upgrade had been released but not installed.
    There ensued years of legal battles and was resolved by the UK rolling back the software in order to get them into service. (There is also worldwide shortage of Chinooks)

13. henrymc

henrymc

Brown was a good Chancellor, but he has as some have said got a tough job at mo, After all Tony the Rat would be a hard act for anyone to follow.
    I do not think he would have got the country involved with Afghanistan and Iraq like Blair did,
    I think its time the powers that be had a long look at where all this money is being spent on the armed forces like Nuclear subs all these new Aircraft carriers that are going to be built, all the munitions and equipment for the Army and such and then have a think does this country really need to be posturing like a superpower or can we not have the Armed force's in proportion to the size of what Briton is today.
    No need to tag a long with the Americans all the time,
    I know a lot will not agree but if there was closer cooperation with the rest of Europe in military matters then the tax payer's money would be less likely to be used to fund military posturing and more likely to be spent on things that matter to ordinary people,
    like health, education, police and looking after the old, the lucky ones of us to get to old age will appreciate that the money was used in these ways when we retire.

14. D41

D41

Forgive my ignorance on this, but lack of proximity, time & a crap memory aren't helping....what did "The Sun" report in regards to the Hillsborough Disaster???

15. henrymc

henrymc

The Sun Toilet paper wrote that it was the fault of the Liverpool fans that all those people lost their lives. The next day it was all over the front page, when you saw it on the television (because it was a televised match) you could see that the crowd was trying to get away from the colapsed barriers, also the police were trying to stop them getting on to the pitch because they had not got a Danny La Rue what was going on.

16. Edski675

17. D41

D41

Thanks for the link, Edski - lot of stuff there that I'd forgotten.

Gotta say - the "British Disease" of soccer violence back then, has to be one of the underlying concerns that most likely influenced the way crowd control was handled at Hillsborough, the Police are blamed (always), the Liverpool fans are blamed (not without due cause, considering past incidents) - basically EVERYONE is blamed after a tragedy such as this takes place - BOTTOM LINE....Sh*t Happens!! - Hindsight is always 20/20 & we live & (hopefully) learn from our mistakes. Obviously, "The Sun" went a bit overboard in trying to lay blame etc. & they have (hopefully) suffered for it....Still can't understand why people concentrate on the supposed 'reasons' WHY incidents like this occur, as opposed to focusing on how to prevent them in the first place.
    Human nature, I guess?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous

I take Wikipedia information with a pinch of salt as it tends to be written by the opinionated public as apposed to academics.

19. Edski675

D41 - it's cos we're obsessed with blame and compensation culture. Everywhere you go here you see adverts for claims companies looking to take on accident at work or motor cases. Sad really. Nobody ever seems prepared to accept that shit happens and that often an accident is precisely that - an accident.

I used to work in a bank in Plymouth. One of my team was involved in a road accident where a car drove into the back of the car in which she was a front seat passenger. She was telling me about it the next day, I casually asked her if she had suffered any whiplash cos she could get some damages. Well next day she came to work in a surgical collar complaining about what pain she was in. Devious bitch had been to the hospital and made it all up.

20. D41

D41

Yeah, - you don't have to tell me about it, mate - I live in the world capital of "lawsuit-land"!