675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

The wait is over - or was

Discussion in 'General' started by bladebiker, Mar 29, 2009.

1. bladebiker

bladebiker

Nice sunny Sunday forecast. Did all the jobs specified by my wife on the Saturday, on the understanding I could get the bike out for the first time since I bought it in January. In that time she has been tucked up under a blanket in the garage - the bike not the wife that is. Wired up to an optimate as well. Leathers and helmet on starts first time on the button. Decides to fill up first - always a good plan. Bike duly fuelled up ready for her maiden blast in the Peak District. Press starter - whirring sound - announcing death of battery. Push bike away from Petrol Pump, try a few more pointless presses of the starter. Man in Saxo offers use of jump leads - I accept. Bike starts up I head off back to dealers and leave them the keys. 'Ring us on Monday when the service department is open' I catch bus back home still wearing leathers and carrying helmet - feeling like a Mister Man who came out of the wrong door. Took dog out for a walk to the sound backdrop of scores of bikes heading out to where I should have been. Regulator/rectifier I suspect unless any one else has another explanation. I bet we don't get another decent weekend for ages. I would add add an appropriate smiley now but I am too pi**ed off!

2. Stu

Stu

A sad tale indead. My rectifier when but it was replaced under warranty. How old is the bike. I'd only expect the battery to last about a year. I hope you get sorted soon and the sun stays out for you. :)

3. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Sorry to hear yje bad news Bladebiker....................there will be more Sunny Sundays ;)

4. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I would be fuming; steaming at the visor :p sods law for sure! Roll on summer more weekends of sun, heat, clear sky, open roads.... well probably in spain but we'll get a couple of weekends to utilise no doubt :lol: Keep us posted! :)

5. bladebiker

bladebiker

Latest update - phoned dealer yesterday 'not had chance to look at it yet' , phoned again today 'it's in the diary for tomorrow'. If they just ordered the part I could do it myself! Warranty work though. Might have it back for the weekend. I suppose I should have kicked off on Sunday with them but I hate doing stuff like that. Meek and mild - that's me!

6. Craig

Sounds like they need to pull their finger out of.... you get the gist ;) Frustrating for sure; lets hope the complete the work tomorrow otherwise you might have to bring out the victor meldew theory in things :)

7. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

8. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I think I'd have a few choice words for the dealer.

9. Rowly

Rowly

Its time to name and shame the the dealers that take the foo king piss :evil:

10. bladebiker

bladebiker

Thursday 5.00 pm - Any progress I say. 'Yes we think its the regulator/rectifier' Eureka I say - I knew that on Sunday.
    'But we can't quite understand why it discharged the battery so quickly' That's probably cos it's damaged the battery I say. "could have' they say. So have you ordered the part then? says me. 'Yes we have done that". So how long will it be? 2/3 days ( how far away is fcking Hinkley from S. Yorks). So now it looks like early next week. That will be at least 6 working days they have taken assuming it's fixed by Monday. You could have rebuilt the entire bike in that time. I could have got the part myself and fixed it in an hour. I should have asked them for the cash for a new reg/rec and done exactly that.

11. Craig

On the bright side it'll be sorted; though I think I would of pulled all my hair out by now. :p They're being a bit slow all about it though. I'm one of those impatient customers that demands service asap. :D

12. bladebiker

bladebiker

It's back! Got them to deliver it as well. Out for a bit of a play tomorrow. Matlock Bath probably.

13. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

So how was the bike and "The Bath" :?:

14. bladebiker

bladebiker

Eventful I have to say. Roads absolutely rammed. Shi**ty fine drizzle. Managed to open her up a bit coming out of Matlock towards the A61 and back through Chesterfield. Overcooked an overtake and went the wrong side of some bollards - fortunately no plod around! Did see one though on an unmarked blue BMW as he has police on his lid. Called in at my mums on the way home to discover the seat pod was missing, presumably flown off, because the numpties in the Bike shop had not put the allen screw back in! I have phoned them and they say they 'will get back to me" once they have spoken to the technician (ha ha) who worked on my bike. As a replacement is a 100 quid plus they better be coughing on this one but I suspect a fight on my hands.

As for the bike it was my first proper ride and it was brilliant. Fantastic noise and grunt. As this is the first fuel injected bike I have had I am not sure if it is normal to have a slight hesitancy in the fueling from a closed throttle but I soon got used to it. Another thing was that she did seem a bit reluctant to turn in and tried to stand up a few times in turns but that again might be my unfamiliarity with her. As it was wet it could have been the tyres (Pirelli Diablos) which I did not have a lot of confidence in. Reading others on her I might junk them in favour of Michelin's. Absolutely brilliant though and I am well pleased.

15. Craig

Good to see you've got the chance to open the throttle up on her! :D Sod's law with the seat pod - hope the garage cave in and replace; sometimes a bit of hit or miss with triumph's customer service with things like that ~ though if you make enough noise they'll cave ;p Easter weekend is always a killer with traffic - just gotta wait until the holidays to be over for a bit of open road. I'm sure all your riding issues mentioned is just getting used to the beast :)

16. bladebiker

bladebiker

Good news on the seat pod. They have agreed to supply a new one, without a fight as well. Decent blokes after all.

17. that's excellent news m8, i bet one of their engineers got a slapped wrist.

18. bladebiker

bladebiker

I think he did but I hope that is all he did get. Times are tough enough out there as it is. To be fair I have dealt with the dealers before for bits and pieces and they are normally very good. Enthusiastic as well, which helps.