675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Thinking of calling it a day with the 675

Discussion in 'General' started by Jap_Sti_3, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Just adding up the number of times the Beast has been in the bike shop since I've had it and to say I bought it brand new! I'm now considering swapping back to a Jap Bike again :(

First month was in for 500 mile - OK with that, 2nd month OK, 3rd month in twice with Warning light on - actuator valve sticking, 4th month in for Actuator valve again - brand new headers fitted, 5th month came off so I was in and out bike shop for parts but did work myself, 6th month in for 6000 mile service, front pads & new rubber OK with that and now just into month 7 and going back in for front brake to be sorted :? Not looking Good :!:
    Had my CBR 3 years and it only went in 3 times in all of that time. ZXR750 L2 2 services in 18 months, GSXR 750 in twice over 2 years.

May be time to return to the flock :( Thought's everyone

2. know what you mean jap, but i decided to give it another chance...i understand its difficult to own and drive something youve lost faith in but you never know, this might be the last problem you get with it

3. Rowly

Rowly

Don't be to hasty Jap, considering how much you use your bike and the fact its
    only the actuator thats given you the most pain, as for the off it could happen on
    any bike anytime, new rubber every few thousand is everyones problem, the brakes
    are down to the dealer probably? and finally if you go on any forum whether Japanese
    Italian German they all have there own unique problems, ride through the storm for a
    while longer, remember act in haste repent in leisure ;)

4. Rowly

Rowly

Do what Nigel did and chop it in for a new one :?:
    Stand out from the crowd you know the 675 has the X factor :)

5. Stu

Stu

What's up with the front brake Jap :?: We've had the 1st bike for 3 years and the 2nd one for 2years and they have both been in for new cables on the exhaust actuator. Other than that the only problem has been they have both needed a voltage regulator. Mine was done on warranty and I did Jean's myself. I wouldn't worry too much about the exhaust valve actuator which has been most of your problems. It doesn't affect the running of the bike and I've heard you can by pass it.

6. Stu

Stu

I've just read your post in the maintenance section. Is this a failure of the servicing and not the bike. If so, this could happen with a Jap bike too so don't blame Triumph for this one. If it is a failure of the bike then I'd be getting hacked off too.

7. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Hi Stu, all I know is the bike went in on Wednesday for servicing, I rode it home, in Bham on Thursday in car and just got to go out today and the front left pads are just not moving at all, I had pads fitted on the service so I will be taking it back in the morning.

I think what is getting to me is the sheer amount of time I spend at the dealers - they all know me by name :lol:

Love the "Beast" to bits so now I've calmed down things could be worse. I was not going out on it till Friday heading to London, just as well I thought a good ride out to bed things in would be the best cause of action or the trip would have been off for me.

As for the brakes there is just nothing there, they were fine one minute the next the lever is against the grip with just no stopping power, yest they slow you down but not the way they did. Its like haveing no pads in.

I'm no mechanic but brake failure on a bike 6 months old hass to be down to the service team fitting the pad's. Never come across this before. Juts hoping I dont spend the week waiting for them to go again or the trip will be "pants".

Thanks for the kind words Nigel & Rowly just hacked off sun out and no bike :(

8. Rowly

Rowly

I can only suggest two things it could be with your brakes Jap.
    1) Seized piston, but unlikely if your brakes were working before you had the new pads fitted,
    2) Air in the hydraulic system, this would give the feeling of spongy poor braking and would
    cause the lever to squeeze further than normal, I know this don't help you but food for thought.

9. Stu

Stu

...Or it could be the reverse of what I had. I was tanking along the motorway day after a service and the front brake slowly started to apply it's self. I started to pull in but it sarted applying quicker until it actually stopped me in the slow lane. The problem was the adjuster on the lever. Is adjuster wheel seated correctly on one of the positions. Also, is the fluid level okay.

I really, really hope they can get you sorted by Friday. If not, I know an unemployed Triumph mechanic who might be happy for a bit of pocket money!

10. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Warped Disc......... :eek: Getting renewed "Under Warranty" :ugeek:

11. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I agree with nigelaustin. Stick it out for a bit longer, as you may just feel like you're a rut with your 675 at the moment. I love the reliablilty of Jap bikes but the 675 really does have the wow factor. It's just weighing it all up

12. Stu

Stu

Plus all the Jap bikes look a bit cack at the moment. That only leaves italian which could be in more than your trumpet. :)

13. Don't think that exhaust valve problems are exclusive to Triumphs! I also have a 2002 Fazer 1000 & I have to clean the spindles on the EXUP valve about every 6 months, otherwise the dreaded code 7 comes up (EXUP valve fault code). The only advatange with the Fazer is that can strip it down easily.

14. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

OK OK I'll keep it :D :D :D

What a Buzz.................. 3000 miles 7 days, no mobile :cool: :cool: :cool:

Mountain Passes, Great Bike, Great company.....................well at least one :lol: Big Lad you know who you are ;)

675 Bliss :D :D :D :D :D

15. Rowly

Rowly

Now that you have come to your senses and have decided to stay with the
    fraternity It only leaves me with one thing to say, enjoy your trip and stay
    safe :D :D

16. good on ya mate, :D you know it makes sense..have a damn good trip, take loads of piccies and stay safe

17. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

haha, the passion for the bike is far too great for a few problems to get in the way... good on ya! :D
    Best of luck for the trip! :)