675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Thinking of going back to a Gixer

Discussion in 'General' started by OnlyOneWayHome, Apr 7, 2010.

1. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Hi,

Got a chance to go on a GSXR 750 today and it really saddens me to say it was so much more comfortable than my 675!!! Is it that I'm getting old that I'm holding comfort over TRIUMPH?!

I had a GSXR600 before my D675 and to be honsest, it was great.

What are peoples thoughts?

2. kingfixer

kingfixer

No comment :? :?

3. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Buy an armchair. Keep the 675. No contest.

4. Conks

Conks

Truthfully think Gixers are more comfortable as your in them, rather than on top of, say like on RR's or 675's, however at bike meets there are less 675 and the look's and sound make up for more track focused position in my eyes. On paper, spec both awesome bud ;)

5. Davetona

Davetona Moderator Staff Member

I had a GSXR750 on my list of possible sportbikes and my head told me that I should get one, but they are as common as sh*t down here and my heart kept telling me to go with the Daytona.
    I did 200 miles yesterday and my wrists were killing me but I would'nt swap it for a Gixxer!!

6. The riding position is a bit focused, but 10mins every day doing core exercises, helps take your weight off your wrists, try some stomp tank pads as these help take weight thought yuor legs.

7. Carpel21

Carpel21

Only you know which is the right bike for you. If you genuinely know you would be happier riding a gix than a 675 because of comfort then go for it. Why have a bike that you love to look at, but wince whenever you ride it?
    The 675 is a lovely bike but aside from the motor it's ergonomics aren't best suited to road riding.

8. I must admit when i rode my brand new bike home i thought did i make a mistake as it wasnt the greatest riding position doing 60 mph. I now know i did make the right decision because the bike is gr8

9. D41

D41

I think you are a total fag!!!

....Just kidding....the GSXR750 is a fantastic bike, one of the VERY few AJM bikes I would consider...I agree with Carpel21 :)

10. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I don't. I'm probably just the right build for a 675 - 1.8m, 73kg (that's 5-11, 11 stone 3, 157 pounds for D41) and I can ride the bike all day and not have any aches and pains.

11. D41

D41

- I know what a "stone" is!!! ..the fact is, is that the GSXR750 is one of the best balanced sportbikes out there..almost the perfect amalgam of the lightness & agility of a 600-class bike, combined with the (almost) power of a litrebike...they're a great bike!

12. Carpel21

Carpel21

Micheal Neeves of MCN rates the gix 750 as one of few bikes with a perfect balance between power and handling. The 848 is another. Say what you like about MCN but Neeves is a talented bike tester and I find his insights into bikes pretty accurate.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To quote Triumph
    "Go your own way"

14. I guess youve gotta feel right on a bike. Sad that its not a Triumph. Im lucky I did 2k miles on mine in less than a week and found it much better than my old Honda 600F and my Daytona 600. Maybe Im at an advantage being 5'10 and 12.5 stone (distinctly average for the UK). The guys with me where on GSXR600 and 750s and they where in bits. But Lee (on the 750) is 6'5. Hope we dont loose you to the Japs, why not wait untill the Daytona 1050 comes out? Hope you heard that John Bloor!

15. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

TBH I dont want to leave triumph either! I'm ashamed to say but I do like it when I turn up to a bike meet and mine is the only 675 there and loads of people look at it. Although, I liked my old gxr and think that they are good looking but the 675 is cooler!

That said, I find I'm fighting myself on it in fast bends because my weight is on my wrists and therefore I seem to tighten up my arms! (that's what I think is the problem anyway).

16. Carpel21

Carpel21

Why not try flipping the bars for a cheap solution to wrist weight before you go selling the bike? You swap the clip-ons over side to side and install them upside down too which raisies the angle of them. I think you need to re-drill your brake resevoir bolt hole on the clip-on too or rig up some kind of bracket but it shouldn't be too hard if you can use a drill and a thread tap. ;)

17. D41

D41

....That's because you're not gripping the tank with your legs enough...you should be able to, quite literally, take a right-hander with your left hand OFF the clip-on.

18. You are spot on about gripping the tank with ur knees that was why my wrists hurt at 1st

19. When you're resting the balls of your feet on the pegs, if you twist your heels outboard slightly, then your knees stay against the tank. It's someway to compensate for the narrow tank.

Having said that, I did change to Helibars to overcome the pain in my right shoulder while carrying out incursions into Europe. Now the clip-ons feel a little too relaxed.

20. bladebiker

bladebiker

I'm 5 feet 8 - just, and the 675 fits me perfectly. So did my R1 before that. Perhaps it's an advantage being small!