675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Tor can or not tor can

Discussion in 'General' started by Chris.P., Nov 30, 2009.

1. Chris.P.

Chris.P.

Hi I'm thinking of buying a pipe for my 675 ,I've looked at a few options and for ease of fitting (tail tidy,indicators etc) i'm thinking of the tor can .I've noticed a few comments about the tor but wondered if anyone has one fitted to their bike and their thoughts on it (loudness, performance improvement etc) any advice would be useful thanks. :)

2. Rowly

Rowly

Hi Chris, the TOR can is louder than the stock silencer but also sounds better when you give it some, you would need to have a remap done at your local Triumph dealer which cost you between £15 & £20, this is to reset the fueling, as you are probably aware its not road legal, you should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply now or have a look on ebay, fitting is very straight forward and should take you no more than 30 mins to swap over.
    If you can afford it go for the arrow can? its road legal but has the option of removing the baffle but is around £400 but looks pretty good, some of the members on here will no doubt guide you in the right direction in the best course to take with the can, and of course there are other options, its all down to personal choice and affordability, good luck

3. Excellent advice Rowley, guess its up to what you want to spend financially. I would say ARROW all the way, but Im biased lol

4. kingfixer

kingfixer

if you have the money Arrow can all the way :D :D

5. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Hi Chris, the Arrow is a great can for all the above reasons, a few things about the TOR though:

1, The Tor is nearly the same weight as the std can. :(
    2, The Tor has "Not For Road Use" very visible underneath, for plod & mot boys to bleat about. :(
    3, The Tor "Looks" as if it's a std can. :)
    4, The Tor tune and can work well together out of the box. :)
    5, No baffle is available as std for the Tor. :(
    6, The Tor can+tune will normally come in under 105db to let you use it on a "noisy" trackday. :)

I used to have the Tor fitted to my bike, and it sounded great. Simply put, it does what it says on the can (sorry ;) ) but new, it's doesn't represent very good value for money imho nowadays.

Hope this helps DG.

6. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I would agree with Deegee on this. I have a TOR on my bike, I bought it 2nd hand off of someone on another site. I like the noise it makes - fairly quiet at idle, gets going at about 6K, by 10K it's a hellacious wail, but the induction roar starts to take over. I'm partly deaf (did peeps know that?) and I absolutely have to wear custom moulded ear plugs to preserve what hearing I have left so I find it a bit difficult to tease out the noises after that. I don't mind that it looks like stock - you can tell the difference by the single large port - cos it fills the space nicely without having to have other bits to backfill.

7. Deegee

Cheers Ed, "Hellacious".... Love it!! :D

I can't imagine what sort of a conversation I'll be having when I throw that one in!! I'm fairly sure I'll have a drink in my hand tho. ;)

Threadjack over, sorry.

8. Chris.P.

Chris.P.

Cheers for the advice guys ,think i'll hunt around on flea bay see what i can pick up cheap , saw a scorpion on there might have a look at one of those.

9. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Dave - 'hellacious' came from 'another place'...

10. hi chris, had the scorpion on mine, wasnt overly impressed as it werent much louder than standard..there is a pic or two in my gallery if you want to see what it looks like on..

11. Deegee

Sorry Ed, I'm guessing that would be the same place that I saw "Rotational momentum" referred too as "Spinningness".... :jaw:

Just couldn't believe it, had my trackday partner round for a beer one evening and dug the post out to show him as he wouldn't believe me :lol: , it's now very firmly in the workshop alternative vocab. ;)