675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

TOR on the track

Discussion in 'General' started by Graham H675, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Graham H675

Graham H675

Does anyone know the db of the TOR can the track day i'm going on has a 102db limit

2. Davetona

Davetona Moderator Staff Member

I saw Daytona Days from the forum at Lydden circuit on Saturday. I was quizzing him on his TOR, I'm sure he told me he'd just had it tested at 117db. Try sending him a pm.

3. hi graham what dave says is true i had mine tested at lydden it was 117.5db i was shocked its a 2010 with triumph remap the fella doing it was holding the db meter a foot from the can asked if that was right he says so , i went to 9000rpm ..

4. Carpel21

Carpel21

I thought most tests were at 1m and 45 degrees to the can at 3/4 rpm?

5. SteveH

SteveH

So did I, or at least it was last time I was checked at Coombe.

Steve

6. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Most tracks historically have used the ACU "Blue Book" method (page 282), which is 0.5m from exhaust, 45deg from centre line of bike/exhaust and at least 20cm from the ground. A 675 falls in the 600cc and 750cc rpm range which is 6500rpm. My road 675 with the TOR + map sound checked at 103db at Cadwell, but 2 weeks later was 104db at Snetterton. It seems the 102 db limit you are looking at Graham H675 seems just out of your reach with the TOR fitted :( ...

Some tracks use different methods - I know Castle Combe use a different method/limit to most others, details are on their site and there was a thread a couple of months back about their sound limits as well - that might help if CC is your intended track?
    I have never been sound checked at Lydden although I have been there a couple of times, they used a "only if you sound too loud" rule. But if they check you in the scrutineers area I could believe it - it's a dutch barn and the reverberations would sound horrendous..... or wonderful ;) .

But 117 db? I can't think that's possible from a modern road oriented bike, Moto-Gp are up in that kind of bracket!!! Perhaps Lydden need a calibration done on their meter.

7. Hmmm Interesting.. Any ideas on the ball park Db of a Arrow slip on with baffle removed?

Assume its around the 102-104 mark also?

8. Deegee

Probably not that far from my track 675 which is a Scorpion slip-on with the cat removed and a Jardine map, tested at 106db at Snetterton last year..... Still let me run tho! :D :D :D Your Arrow is probably 1 maybe 2 db down on my Scorpion due to my non-cat headers.

Strangely they pulled my mate on his 600rr during the day for a re-test due to pinging the needle on the pitwall. Static tested at 103db in the morning and at 103db again on the re-test.

There does seem to be a massively unlevel playing field in the UK regarding noise levels and Trackdays generally I think.
    Anyone have any info on Foreign noise testing methods/levels?

9. Can you get a db killer for the TOR can?

10. Deegee

Nothing from Triumph, don't know if one of the fleabay £10 specials would fit?

11. My 60mm Arrow race system was tested at 102 at Snetterton using the ACU guidelines. It was 98 with a DB killer.