675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Torque Wrench

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by OnlyOneWayHome, Jul 14, 2009.

1. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

I should get the last bolt needed to put my bike back on the road today. It is the bolt where the engine mounts to the frame via the Crash mushroom (right/brake side). Realising that this is probably quite an important bolt, I realise that I need to tighten it to the correct torque setting.

As I dont have a torque wrench, I had a look at Halfords and they are 40 - 50 quid!!! Also, there are 3 different torque ranges.

Do any of you know of anyone that loans torque wrenches? I feel, it's a bit daft to pay at least £40 just to tighten a bolt up!

2. I have a torque wrench. I can bring it round, do you know the correct torque setting?

Cheers

3. Stu

Stu

I have one but it 's a bit far to come to use on one bolt. It's a 20 quid jobbie from Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... TORQUE.htm

I use it mainly for the rear wheel as I think it's important to have the correct torque on the rear wheel due to the forces on it.

4. jimjam39

jimjam39

You can get them from Screwfix for about 17 quid, next day delivery, or try ebay

5. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Thanks for the swift replies.

Godzilla - I'll take you up on the offer thanks. Not sure on the Torque setting but will find out.

Thanks again.

6. Let me know, I will see if its in the range of my wrench

7. If its the front frame adjuster bolt then the torque for that is 48 Nm.

my wrench is 5-25 Nm sorry

8. bladebiker

bladebiker

The halfords one is very easy to use. I got one off ebay for 25 quid. Best purchase I have made in the tool department. Well worth having especialyy for tightening rear wheel nut.

9. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

I can't find the torque settings anywhere. So I rang Bill Smiths in Chester to ask them. They said that their mechanics, just tighten it up "really really tight".

Is this a fair answer?

10. No thats utter bullshit imho

11. The manual gives a torque setting of 48 Nm.

12. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Which manual? I've looked through the normal one you get with the bike and cant find anything.

Thanks for your help.

13. No the workshop manual, pm me your email and i will send you a copy on .pdf

14. bladebiker

bladebiker

It's ridiculous a dealer giving you an answer like that.I would be wary of trusting them with my bike.

15. Agreed, that's one place my bike will never go :)

16. spike

spike

he was probably trying to be a smart arse :(
    in other words probably knows but doesnt want to tell you, what a [email protected]!! :evil:

17. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Sorry, just realised that my email account was full (my neighbour keeps sending me huge emails and filling it up). It is clear now.

Thanks again

18. Is that why it kept failing, will try again

19. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Yes, sorry. If it fails again, let me know and I;ll PM my work email address.

Thanks again,

David

20. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

I've managed to find it on the internet. The reason it wont send is that it's 47Mb.

Thanks for your help.