675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Track days/bike schools

Discussion in 'General' started by blast_out, Apr 13, 2009.

1. blast_out

blast_out

Hey fellas,
    my riding is gash and a mate recommended the california superbike school to me, its heavy on the pocket but he said even after he had been racing for years it changed the style and way he rode and was def worth doing. Just wondering how many of you have cracked one of these schools and your feelings on them, also have a track day at cadwell park on the cards which is just up the road from me....scared?? yes i am!!! :?

2. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I did CSS1 last year. I learned quite a bit but regret soon fell back to old habits. It was £400, and yes it gave me the oppo to put things into practice but I think that unless you work at it and do a lot of track stuff (which I don't) you go rusty and revert to type. Also, whilst I had a great day, on reflection I could find better ways to spend the £. I'm not doing CSS2.

3. Stu

Stu

I went to a sales pitch by CSS and it all seemed to be about cornering and turn points. I definately don't use turn points on the road as if you get it wrong you don't have acres of space to run off into. Knowing how to corner is a good thing though and knowing about using counter steer is a life saver.

I'd vote for doing the IAM test as it's more relavent to real world riding. Just my two penneth.

4. cadwell is brilliant m8 you'll love it.

according to the map you're in sunny espana, hardly down the road from Cadwell is it???? :D

5. Stu

Stu

6. blast_out

blast_out

ha ha, er no...im in Lincoln but im a hell of a long way from there to at mo, still not espana!, will sort that out!!, knew i should have paid attention in geography!! :D

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I did track days for almost 5 years and it completly changed my riding and confidence.
    If you do trackdays ask for some help it's free and they will spend all day with you if you want it, it's the only way you can learn to be smooth and confident with cornering without worrying about cars coming the otherway. Also most of the instructors are exracers or still racing and need some extra funds for there racing addiction.
    I can't recomend enough NO LIMITS track days they are brilliant and can't help you enough.
    Do a track day and thats worth 6 months of riding in 1 day, at the end of the day you will finnish a with a big grin and some new friends ,do 2 and you start getting the bug.
    What ever you do enjoy it. :D ;)

8. blast_out

blast_out

Sweet, im doing the superbike school then cadwell in a week so im hoping i will be a little better!, sounds like you all enjoyed it so its got to be worth the experience!. Im back in sunny old Lincoln again now fellas after my trip tp espana!, dont know what happenend there!?, but cadwell is def now just on the doorstep!!! ;)

9. Stu

Stu

Welcome home :D

10. SteveH

SteveH

Hi,

Having done only 1 trackday on a bike I'd just like to add that the first session can be VERY daunting. Bikes fly past very quickly on both sides which can spook you. Having. Said that it was an outstanding experience and brilliant day.

I WILL at some point be doing the entire CSS school but maybe only 1 session a year. I think it's like anything if you've ridden a lot you get into habits and trying to learn a different technique can be tricky and take practice. You only have to look at the CSS client list to see that it's worth doing though.

Also if you like reading I've just read the twist of the wrist series of books. They are brilliant and give you a lot of ideas to try. Obviously not all at once but I've picked up a few tips from them and according to more experienced rider mates I have I'm a lot smoother and quicker for it.

Good luck on track you'll have a blast I'm sure and just remember if your running out of Tarmac lean some more, much less likely to bin it, your probably only using 60% of the bikes potential so if you trust your Tyres and your bike a little lean will get you out of a lot of trouble! Most of all though just have fun!

Cheers

Steve