675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

TRACK DAYS

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by Iron Urchin, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Iron Urchin

Iron Urchin

well, a couple of weeks ago i took the plunge and booked my first ever track day, i'm going with a few guys i know from another forum but they'll all be in the fast group while i'll be in the novices group :oops: , still it should be a good laugh.

i'm really excited about it, can't wait, but really nervous at the same time.

anyone else ever done track days ? any advice?

well the big day is next wednesday (2/07/08) at Brands Hatch, i'll let you know how i got on.

2. Stu

Stu

Keep us posted.

I must admit I'm too much of a scaredy cat to do one on my bike. I'd love to do one on someone elses though with no come back if I have an offy. :)

Can I borrow your bike :)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi , the best bit of advice I can give you is don't be afraid to ask for tution, I did 5 years of track days on r6s and cbrs starting from the novice group up into the fast group, just relax and try not to let the red mist come down.
    Make sure you take you mirrors off, you won't need them, drink plenty of water and remember to take your licence with you, have a great day and what a track :) You will be knackered at the end of the day ,enjoy :D

4. Iron Urchin

Iron Urchin

well, i had a great day, me and the bike got back unbroken, BIG SILLY GRIN ACROSS MY FACE (apparently).

It got wet a couple of times, not torrential rain but enough to make it bloody scarey :eek: , quite a few people sat out on the wet sessions but i had to be out there for every second i could, silly new boy and all that.

i was really feeling quite nervous during the first session which was thankfully cut a bit short cos of a red flag, then in my second session i felt alot more relaxed and as soon as a few people overtook me the competitive spirit came out and i was fighting to get places back again :evil: .

i saw 1 other D675, it was at the start of the final session and i was released on to the track in the pair behind the other 675 and i stayed right behind him for what seemed like ages, i knew iwas faster than him in most of the corners but i just didn't have the confidence to get round or under him...the thought of wrecking the bike was scaring me to death, but then suddenly i got a better than usual run out of paddock hill bend annd dived inside him at druids on a really tight line, managed to hold it and i was gone, i think we had another 2 or 3 laps after that and i managed to open a fair gap between us :D well chuffed

must remember in future to drop an extra cog in the bends, makes a huge difference on the track.

so there you go, i was certainly not the fastest out there, but i was certainly not the slowest either.
    really good fun, can't wait to do another one.

5. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Track days have always tempted me, the closest thing I've got to anything like that is blasting my old R6 down a runway. Track days has always been on my to-do list just getting the time is the mission! Really want the opportunity to explore and push my riding abilities.
    A while ago I started to do the advance riding skills with IAMs on my old R6, was a challenge at times keeping up with the instructor so god knows what I'll be like around a track. :p
    Did it cost much at Brands? seeing its only a short distance from me I cant really give myself any more excuses not to do it! apart from the being novice thing. :)

6. Iron Urchin

Iron Urchin

i tell you what mate, i was so nervous cos it was my first one but i had a fantastic time, kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
    as far as costs go, Brands is probably the most expensive of the circuits approx 150 quid for the indy circuit and approx 190 quid for the GP circuit,you can do Mallory or Cadwell or Snetterton much cheaper, but if you keep your eyes on the track day websites they quite often do deals especially if they've got some spaces left for a trackday that is in 2 days time for example.

e.g....me and a mate did Brands again yesterday on the full GP circuit for 1 pound each, thats right! 1 little quid each.....fantastic.

7. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

£1 is a bargain,certainly compared to £150 - I'll have to keep my eye's peeled. It's on my 'to-do' list this year at some point. A few of my friends race at brands etc... I need to see what all the fuss is about ;P

8. I am throwing myself in the deep end when it comes to trackdays, off to the Nurburgring next month! Been round there in the car before, but first time on track on a bike, should be interesting! Will be relying on my desires not to die to stop me from doing something stupid :lol:

9. Iron Urchin

Iron Urchin

that should be brilliant m8, i'd love to do that at some point in the future.

and it's the same thing that stops me doing anything stupid, that and the thought of wrecking a bike that i'm still paying for :D

hopefully gonna be a group of us going to Cadwell for a trackday next month, that's supposed to be a really interesting circuit to ride on, can't wait....i've got the bug :D

10. Stu

Stu

As the Ring is more of a toll road than a track, how are you covered insurance wise?

11. My bike policy doesn't state that it isnt insured, unlike my car insurance which states i am not covered on "de-restricted toll roads" which is the nurburgring in more words!

I think i would struggle to get a payout from my insurance whether its stated or not mind, so will be riding with the mindset that i am not insured!

12. I'm off to Donington (full circuit) on the 27th May with the boys from the Daytona600 site. Really looking forward to it.

And for a warm up, I'm off to Castle Combe on Monday 11th May. Buell experience. At the time I booked I had a Multistrada. Nice to show somebody elses bike the whip. I will report back on the 1125R.

Kev

13. The Fridge

The Fridge

did my 1st track day Iron Urchin last August at Cadwell. what a circuit, nice and twisty with a couple of long straights. by far the best EVER day ive had on a bike...you'll love it.