675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Trackday preps

Discussion in 'General' started by Admiral Nelson, May 12, 2009.

1. Admiral Nelson

Admiral Nelson

I am off to Donington (In know I have mentioned it before but I'm so excited :D ) on 27th May. I intend to remove the rear plate. Possibly complete numberplate assy if easy. Tape the lights. I was thinking of just removing the mirror stems. What fuse cuts the lights? Bike is being prepared at home and transported in a van.

Kev

2. SteveH

SteveH

Hi mate,

According to the manual,

Fuse 1 (15amp) = Dip & main beam headlights, starter relay
    Fuse 2 (10amp) = Ignition switch, starter circuit
    Fuse 3 (5amp) = Auxillary lighting
    Fuse 4 (10amp) = Horn, indicators, alarm
    Fuse 5 (15amp) = Cooling fan
    Fuse 6 (20amp) = Engine management

Whether that means removing fuse 1 will kill the starter motor to I do not know. I guess #3 is the side lights, but wouldn't have thought a 5amp fuse would be rated high enough to cut the dipped (always on) beam to. So I think you could be stuck here.

To be honest I last did a trackday on a 916 and didn't even tape the lights. Had no problem at all, ran with them on all day. I even left the mirrors on the 916 as they were a real PITA to remove and get lined up properly again. Didn't even remove my plate either, but I guess if your still riding a bike under warranty then this could be a good idea ;)

Finally, believe me you'll absolutely LOVE IT! If it's your first trackday, then the shock of how close people pass you soon goes. I felt like I was on foot amongst a million galloping horses for the first couple of laps. But once I relaxed into it I had probably the best days biking I've ever had and can't wait to get the 675 on track. I learnt more about my bike and my ability that day than I have in all my years of road riding, it truly is a fantastic experience. Only wish the British Sport Photography nobber would answer my calls and emails so I can buy some pic's from them of my day out. Idiots! you think they would want the trade.

Hope that helps anyway. Have fun!

Cheers

Steve

3. Admiral Nelson

Admiral Nelson

Thanks for the reply. I have done Mallory, Lllandow twice, and Castle Combe yesterday.

The reason I asked about lights, was a mate of mine taped his up with gaffer tape on his GSX-R600 - when he took the tape off, he had melted the lenses and needed to replace both :shock:

4. SteveH

SteveH

Blimey thats NOT good! Rather than remove the fuse (if it does use the same as the starter) then perhaps just disconnecting the headlight at the hedlight may be a better solution then just taping the cables up. Sure I know they would be live but if taped up well enough they should be fine. After all I doubt your gonna be out on track if it's raining anyway right?? lol

Cheers

Steve

5. No way - Donny ??!!!!!!

Me too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes - correct - the lights fuse, is also for the starter.

I remember having to fight and remove the bulbs (remember you can't put tape on the front with projector lights on).

6. Admiral Nelson

Admiral Nelson

Just found out how to remove the complete NP bracket, lights, indicators in one go - chuffed.

Tried pulling fuse 5 - won't start lol...

Will have to unscrew covers and remove bulbs :(

7. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

My lights were taped at Rockingham and didn't melt.

8. There is a much easier way to isolate the lights. Remove the cover and gain access to the fuse panel (LHS). If you remove the unit holding the fuses it is easier i.e. pop it off the plastic lugs. Just under there is the connection for the lights, unplug this and thats you done. Full guide with pics can be found at

http://triumph675.net/forum/showthread. ... headlights

I was on the track last night at knockhill and this took me no more than 3 minutes to do, just needed an allen key. :D

9. Admiral Nelson

Admiral Nelson