675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Trip to France - Match Report

Discussion in 'General' started by Stu, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Stu

Stu

We just been to France to stop at a mates place. We had a good holiday but the ride there was a bitch. We set off at midnight to catch a 7am ferry from Dover, that leg was 270 miles and took about five and a half hours. We all managed to get about 40 minutes kip on the boat then we were off in France at 7am local time. We head south and got lost in Paris because the road we wanted was closed. We did manage to see the Eiffel Tower in the distance. On the French side we had about 650 miles to do and the gap between stops was getting shorter. Neck and shoulders were aching and fatigue was setting in. I managed to grab 10 minutes sleep on the grass verge at a petrol stop which was most welcome. The motorway we were on started to climb through the mountains and got really twisty. The call came over the radios that we were leaving the car and going for a play. It was raining and cold but just as this motorway got fun it dried out. We had about 10 miles of the most twisty motorway I have ever seen. It took our minds off of our aches and pains but soon we left the motorway to head across country to our mate’s house. We stopped for fuel about 80 miles from his house and he said he wanted to do the last bit in one go. By now we’d all had enough and just wanted to get there. About 20 miles from our destination my batteries were going in the radio so I could only hear but not transmit. My missus said “Don’t leave me as I can’t move my arms. I can’t even open my visor. I want to cry”, At this point I shot of to the front and pulled us all in. Whippy our mate said thank feck for that as he needed to stop too. At just after 11pm we arrive at our destination all knackered and ready for a drink. We split the journey back into two legs but even that was a hard slog. Nearly a thousand miles in 22 hours.

The weather could have been better but we has some great fun on some great French roads. I broke my land speed record and the gel seat now seems worth every penny  Four of us went which was me and my missus on 675’s, my mate Whippy on his BMW K1200S and his wife Kaz in the Honda Civic. Kaz did well in the car as we all had aches and pains to keep us alert and awake, long runs in the car can make you really tired. That has to be by far the longest run any of us have done on bikes and none of us will do it again in a hurry although it was a great holiday.

Some pictures here http://www.stukennedy.co.uk/france/Fran ... /frame.htm

Stu

2. Looks like you had a good time, Whippys place looks nice! :) not to sure on the journey down mind, not my idea of fun that! Did jean kiss the frog and end up with you?!? :lol:

3. Stu

Stu

I'm a prince don't you know.

One thing I didn't mention is - we stopped for fuel around the M25 and Jean switched her bike off. When she took the keys out she noticed the alarm fob had gone. A complete show stopper as the alarm armed itself after 30 seconds. By pure fluke the fob had landed between the frame and the fairing. How spawny is that. As the bike was mine previously I had set a pin code (if I could have remembered it) so there was a possiblity of disarming the alarm from the ignition key but not much fun every time you need to start the bike.

Lesson for everyone. Set the pin code if you have a Datatool S4 Red alarm.