675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Triumph Backs New MAP Centurion Racing Team For 2010

Discussion in 'General' started by T9Steve, Nov 20, 2009.

1. T9Steve

T9Steve

TRIUMPH BACKS NEW MAP CENTURION RACING TEAM FOR 2010

Tech 2 Racing's David Fairbrother and Centurion Racing's Paul Rees have joined forces to establish an exciting new race team with full Triumph factory support. MAP CENTURION TRIUMPH RACING will enter the British Supersport and National Superstock 600 Championships in 2010. The new, four-rider team will compete on Triumph Daytona 675's in these two prestigious BSB support classes.

David Fairbrother has a long established racing pedigree; in 2002 he ran the young Cal Crutchlow, Tom Sykes, and the late David Jefferies with his own team Tech 2, before co-managing NW200 Ducati in 2008.

Former Royal Marine Commando Paul Rees established Centurion Racing in 2006, and the team quickly won two consecutive Supersport Cup Championships, and achieved fifth in the overall Supersport Championship with Dan Cooper in 2009.

Integral to the new team is engine builder and Chief Engineer, John Trigger. John has taken the Triumph to new levels of Supersport success for two consecutive years, winning the British Supersport Championship with Glen Richards in 2008, and achieving third with James Westmoreland in 2009. Joining his team of mechanics are Jason Jones (Supersport Crew Chief) and Steven Bradley (Superstock Crew Chief).

The team is delighted to announce its rider line-up for 2010:

Dan Cooper and AJ Venter will contest the British Supersport Championship. 22-year-old Dan Cooper from Stroud finished the 2009 Supersport season in fifth place, having achieved first, second and third place podiums during the season. AJ Venter, the team's 21-year old South African rider, finished fourth in the National Superstock 600 Championship in 2008, and 14th in the 2009 Supersport Championship in his rookie year.

The team will also compete in the National Superstock 600 Championship. The Junior Superstock team will be 20-year old riders Jimmy Hill and Josh Caygill. Jimmy, from Lingfield, finished in the 2008 National Superstock 600 Championship in sixth place, and showed real potential in 2009. The youngest member of the team, Josh Caygill, who rode in the Triumph Triple Challenge in 2007 and the National Superstock 600 class for the last two years, complete the team line up.

2. excellent news, adds a bit of spice to the BSB meetings, assuming these championships are still support races for BSB???

3. Doh! just read it properly, they are.

4. henrymc

henrymc

That's made things different, as i had been told that Westy had a good chance of getting full Factory support from Triumph,
    looks bad for him that John Trigger has gone to do the engines for Centurion. What about Paul Young also?
    Well time will tell what will happen.
    There is some good pedigree behind that team between Centurion and Map.
    As long as there are 675's racing in the BSS and doing well then i will be happy. Just remembered two years a go Buff announced that they had full factory support before the start of the season but when the season started it was Map Embassy that had the factory support. :erm:

5. redseven

redseven

I thought Westy did well, considering his age and who he was up against.

6. henrymc

henrymc

He did very well.
    I hope he will be on a Triumph again next year, pity he is not involved with Centurion but maybe he has been picked up by some other big team to ride something else if so I wish him luck.
    He deserver it, I know I keep saying this,
    I think he has a bright future ahead of him in Motorbike racing.

7. redseven

redseven