675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Triumph race kit gear change detent wheel

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by instant gymnast, Nov 18, 2009.

1. instant gymnast

instant gymnast

Just fitted this last night and I am loving it. You just have to be a little more carefull selecting neutral, otherwise it makes the shift more positive and there is next to no chance of a false neutral. I didn't take photos, but I downloaded the manual from this ere forum and there was no problems at all.

1. Clutch cover off.
    2. Remove the clutch actuator, springs and pressure plates. Also two large, thin washers behind the plates.(Stack them in the right order)
    3. 30mm nut in the centre of the basket with the two washers under it, and the big flat washer under that.
    4. There is a collar in the centre of the basket with a needle roller bearing between it and the basket. Thin nose pliers will pull this out, then its just a case of wriggling the fly wheel/basket out. Be aware that the gear around the edge of the basket is in two parts. Imagine two gears laid on top of each other and turn one till its quater tooth out, these gears are then held like this by coil springs . This takes the backlash out of the transmition. When you remove it , it will spring back and you will have to insert a drift in to the little hole on the edge to tension the springs when refitting it. I stuffed a clean rag in the hole left by the flywheel/basket to stop loosing anything down into the sump/crankcase area.
    5. Remove the baffle plate with the two torx bolts.
    6. Round the other side now and remove the gear shift rod and the shift arm from the shaft.(Mark this up so it goes back in the same place) There is also an E clip and washer to come off that side of the shaft too.
    7. Pull the selector mechanism through until the shaft is fully withdrawn from the clutch side.
    8. You can now see the detent wheel on the end of the selector shaft and the detent assembly itself. Either remove the detent or hold it back.
    9. Undo the allen bolt holding the original detent wheel and swap it with the kit part and bolt. The shaft will turn less than a quater of a turn in either direction then stop. Apply thread lock and torque as per the manual.
    Now put everything back in the order it came out. If needs be, take photos and/or lay it all out in a long line to remember the order(if you have the space) If at any point you are not sure about anything then consult the manual and/or give your nearest dealer a call.
    I only did this cos I am planning on rearsets and want to shorten the gear lever throw. Once the rearsets are on and the quickshifter is fitted, then I will hopefully go on the mother of all road tests...About seven track days and a ride to Assen for the moto gp and then down to and round the Nurburgring. :roll: Will let you know how I get on.

L,P&B
    Colon

2. bloody hell IG, sounds like alot of work, what benefits do you get from it?

3. This has given me an idea, can we have a topic where we can put guides like this, preferably with photo's maybe call it How To .... just an idea

:D

4. instant gymnast

instant gymnast

It means you have to use a little more effort to change gear, is a little more agricultural, but the racers use it cos they rarely miss shift. I also have to say that having 'kit' parts on me bike gives me something to brag about should I ever get the chance to drink to excess and get all shouty... It was £15 of evilbay so its more of an experiment at the moment. As I said I will keep this parrish informed with everything I do to the bike as to if it makes it better or not.

5. T9Steve

T9Steve

Interesting conversion you`ve done there IG, our you also going to reverse the gear change patern, ie one up and five down as most racer have their bikes setup.

6. Are you planning on getting the arrow rearsets and the triumph quickshifter?

7. redseven

redseven

I don't have trouble with false neutrals as I don't change gear much. Thought quickshifters were illegal on the road?

8. Hope mine doesnt get noticed then :(

9. D41

D41

Retard question - but what exactly IS a quickshifter???

10. its a thing wot shifts faster than a slow shifter...everyone knows that :D

11. Basically allows clutch less full throttle up shifts.

12. redseven

redseven

Triumph sell them on their website.

13. D41

D41

I never use the clutch for upshifts anyway, so I guess I'm saving money.

14. Cant do it with the throttle fully open though. :)

15. instant gymnast

instant gymnast

He he he!
    A quickshifter cuts the ignition, momentarily unloading the gearbox allowing a "quick shift" without you chopping the throttle or using the clutch. Cheaper ones use a switch that can wear out while the more expensive ones use a load cell with a micro processer.
    I will be sticking with a standard shift for now as I don't want to have a brain fart and shift the wrong way, shortly followed by a trip in to the scenery! I have a RGV track project to try that on...

16. redseven

redseven

Man who runs with scissors, they do sound a tad complicated. I've never used one and always thought they were some kind of "pre select" set up? Where you just nudge the gear lever into place, as on old buses and taxi cabs ?Is it first gear up and the rest down?

17. The quickshifter will only work on upshifts, it wont downshift, so brain farts arnt a problem.

The triumph quickshifter just replaces the connecting rod from the foot lever to the bit that goes into the engine. sorry for the technical terms lol. Gearshift pattern is not affected by the shifter.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  18. D41

D41

- That's true, - forgot about that part.