675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

tyre choice

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Iron Urchin, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Iron Urchin

Iron Urchin

i'm still using the pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro (think they should make thename a little bit longer personally) :D
    that come fitted as standard but i don't think i'll renew them when the time comes, i'm scared to go out in the wet with them cos of the "naked shoulders" on 'em, they take a bit of warming up in the dry before they work well so i dread to think what they'd do in cool damp conditions :eek:

the guys that i use to do my tyres recommend the Pilot Power 2CT

any of you guys got any preferences ?

2. Stu

Stu

Tyres are always a personal choice and I've always ridden on Bridgestone BT010s. I won a set of any Michelin tyres of my choice. I chose the Pilot Road 2. The rear is nearly dead now but it has done over 12k miles. Not bad to say I could wear out an 010 in 3-5k miles. The Pilot Road 2 are as good as my tyre of choice but the longevity of them makes it a no brainer for me.

3. Iron Urchin

Iron Urchin

12k, that's amazing ! they must be a hard tyre so i'm surprised they give as much grip as they do...i'm assuming you find the grip is good.

what are they like in the wet Stu?

4. Stu

Stu

They are dual compound which is hard in the middle and soft at the edges. I've been told the outer compond is what was used for racing 2 years ago. The grip is amazing and they are excellent in the wet (although I don't ride hard in the wet).

My rear is a bit square now after riding down to france and it''s nearly down to the wear bars. For a tyre that lasts 3-4 times longer than my regular with the same grip and feedback I'm damn sure I'm putting another Road Pilot 2 on. :)

5. Iron Urchin

Iron Urchin

that's good to know, i wonder what sort of mileage you get from the pilot power 2CT, cos they're the next step up really with even better wet/dry grip so presumably softer and therefore a shorter life, but i wonder how much shorter. :?

6. Stu

Stu

They have a '2' in the name. Does that mean they are dual compound too? If so they should be good. With the Pilot Road 2, my chicken strips are about 7mm for the outer edge if that can give you an indication of my riding. Never had a twitch off the tyres :)

7. Iron Urchin

Iron Urchin

yes they are a dual compound too...so they sound promising, not much dearer than the roads either.

7mm.... sounds like you've got to grips with the 675 sooner than i have :D i don't know if the tyre profile makes that much difference but those supercorsa pros have a steep profile, it feels like i'm leaning for England sometimes but i still haven't made it to the edge of the tyre hehehe :twisted:

think i need to grow some bigger testicles :D

8. I have Michelin Pilot Road 2CTs and would not hesitate to recommend them, they are awesome, so much grip on the out edge of the tyre, and it shouldnt square off to quick either in the middle! really confidence inspiring, wet or dry!

9. Zmok

Zmok

Ditto, Ditto - I love my 2CT's

100% better than the OEM supercorsas and warm up so much quicker too.

I got 1900 miles out of my supercorsas and I've done 700 miles on the 2CTs and they haven't worn a bit - Yet!

10. TripleT

TripleT

Hello to all,
    First reply on here as only recently bought my 675.. I've just taken off the Dsc Pro's and fitted the new Bridgestone BT-016's. Didn't get on with the stock tyres at all, not a good choice for busy and rough uk roads, couldn't keep them up to temp so they felt un-nervingly twitchy.. The 016 felt better from the first few miles even though new, picked the bike up 6 in the evening and got home 90 miles later, i only live 10 miles from the fitters! The result is good, a lot more confidence leaning over, turn in is smoother, not so aggressive, ride is good in a straight line, feels well planted. Bridgestone say they should wear better the the 014, and i think they may even be a triple compound.. will check this though. Cost was 267 fitted, will Ebay the Pirelli's for the track day riders to fight over as they only had 931 tip toed miles on them. Good luck with your choice.

11. i got the rossos put on and then went for my first track day ever last weekend . I loved the tires very good feedback with these . and can hold the line . they stick very well and warm up very fast. the track had like 6 left handers,and 2 right handers so thats why the right side isnt as worn. put here is a couple of pics of the tires after my first track day. tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

12. here are a couple more of the front

Attached Files:

13. jimjam39

jimjam39

I put the BT 016's on mine in March, best thing i've done to the bike since buying it. I was going for the 2CT's but they did not have any in stock so got the bridgestones. To be honest from what i've heard you would not be dissapointed with either.

14. just changing my tyres to 2cts (as had these on my 636).
    found them to be grippy and last longer than 3.5k
    i'm not tight but life's a compromise innit
    checked on other 675 forums and quite a few going for the road pilot 2s.

15. Graham H675

Graham H675

got the road pilot 2ct on mine too can't fault them also won best wet weather grip too

16. Rowly

Rowly

I have to confess the stock Dragon supercorsa pro's don't inspire confidence, maybe
    I'm never going to ride that fast to get the best from what is an all out track tyre.
    So the question is guys what do I replace them with :?: there seems to be consensus of
    opinion on the Michelin road pilot 2ct's, are they really that good compared to the best
    of the rest :?:

17. Stu

Stu

Don't know. What I can tell you is I always rode on Bridgestone BT010's and trusted them with my life. The Road Pilot 2's are ever so nearly as good (but not quite) but are really really really nearly as grippy. Did I say nearly as good. I just want to make a point. What you do get is a tyre which (in my case) lasts up to 3 times longer on the rear and twice as long on the front for not much more. The hard compound in the middle is good for boring riding and the outer edges are sticky for when out having fun.

For me the longevity makes it a no brainer and as they are as good as (nearly) my original choice - I use them. Thaibite now uses them and loves them and my mate chucked a pair on his BMW K1200S and loved them too.

Got to be worth a try don't you think Rowly but I can only compare against 010's and OEM. OEM are plain dangerous for me on the road as I ride all year round and all weathers.

18. Rowly

Rowly

I'm willing to try other makes Stu, making the right choice can only come from advice from yourself
    and other members who have experienced different tyre choices, all I can say at the moment
    is the corsa pros don't instill confidence so they will have to go :?

19. Stu

Stu

I agree with ya Rowly but I actually won a set of Michelin tyres. I asked the dealer which ones were best and he told me the Road Pilot 2. They are a touring tyre where as I've alway ridden on sports but that's how I made the change. The leap of faith payed of and I cannot extol the virtues of these tyres enough. Tyres will always be a personal choice so bear in mind that if you don't like the Road Pilot 2's you'll be stuck with them a long time :D.

How many miles have you done on the Super Corsa's? Now the roads are getting warmer you'll get more grip from them and maybe you can toast them in 2k miles. If not, get rid as like me you don't think they're up to the job of a road tyre.

20. Rowly

Rowly

To be perfectly honest with you Stu my riding isn't at the level to get them hot
    enough, well not just yet, despite the sun been out the road temperature are
    still fairly cool especially the time I go for a blast after 6pm when its less busy.
    To conclude I think everyone seems to be on common ground with regards
    ditching the corsa's so either Bridgestone or Michelin, decisions decisions :roll: