675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

tyre questions

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by d8mok, Dec 19, 2009.

1. d8mok

d8mok

Here's my problem. Im having my wheels painted black over xmas, and at the same time was gonna replace my front tyre as its nearlly done. So i call to get a price for it, and they are a fortune (£110). So now im thinking of buying a pair of different ones for not much more (£200) and selling my rear for a bit on ebay.

So first question is... what exact model do 06 675's come with? Pirelli dragon supercorsa pro? but which one? sc what?

Next, im fancying some pirelli diablo supercorsa's but there is so many models, im confused. can someone explain?

My local bikeshop can do me a set of diablo supercorsa BSB for £195. Are these ok for road riding? Im no riding god (yet) but like sticky tires.

cheers

2. Does the guy selling supercorsas that cheap post!?

The BSB SC are pretty much the stock tyres, and they are really good, lasted longer than expected, and good grip even from cold...even in the wet they aren't as bad as you would expect. I've done over 4000 miles on them + 2 trackdays. They still have a few mm of tread left, but the last trackday has killed them, and they now are slippery as hell!

The BSB is actually the road compound, so, aslong as you don't do too much mileage on the motorways, they will be fine!

3. andysjt

andysjt

I’m happy with Michelin road pilot 2 ‘s , not so good for the track but better for doing longer road trips ,they are not that cheep but will last a bit longer than the s-c

4. i prefer the BT016 to the pirellis

5. +1
    the bt016's rock. By far the best tyre on the market IMHO

6. D41

D41

Not a good idea to use a track tyre on the road as you'll be running a significantly higher tyre pressure at a much lower speed so you'll never get the tyre up to temp (track tyres operate best at much higher temp than road tyres).
    The Supercorsa SC rear that I currently have on my bike has done 3 trackdays (about 300 miles) and it's absolutely toast!! I'm sure you'd get more mileage using a track tyre on the road vs. track, but the expense would probably make it prohibitive.

7. d8mok

d8mok

Yeh they post them at that too. next day delivery is included SMC bikes in sheffield. i dont use the bike in the wet or motorway really. So what your saying to the bsb is ok for road riding and isnt gonna wear out in a couple of thousand miles? Is it the BSB's that you use?

8. The stock tyres are Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP ( http://www.pirelli.co.uk/web/tyres-cata ... fault.page ) .

I would be really careful buying a track tyre for road use for the reasons D41 has stated. From what you have said I doubt you will keep these tyres at the correct temperatures.

The tyres are not sticky until they are at their working temperature, until then they will give less grip than a 'lower spec' tyre working in its optimal temperature zone.

Be honest and asses your riding and select a tyre that matches, then you will get the best from your bike, and enjoy it more.

Tyres are so important, they are your only contact between the bike and road, do not aim to save £10-20 but spend the extra to buy the best tyre for YOU.

This is just my opinion.

9. D41

D41

This is what a Supercorsa SC1 looks like after it's 2nd trackday figure about 150-200 miles on it;

ai571.photobucket.com_albums_ss151_DarrenPickering_P9050279.jpg

10. I find this really confusing. My 59 bike came with Dragon Supercorsa Pros. The Pirelli catalogue has both those and the Diablo Supercorsa SPs, but not so far as I can see, a Diablo Supercorsa Pro. I've resolved to go to a dealer and ask!

11. D41

D41

The Diablo Supercorsa Pro is the successor to the Dragon Supercorsa Pro...reckoned to be a little better traction-wise but ALOT better on tread-wear, or lack thereof.

12. d8mok

d8mok

Well after a few conversations with different people managed to find out the following....

The Diablo superCorsa SP is the the standard fitment for the 675, it's the road version of the Diablo superCorsa SC1 and SC2 which are the track compound tyres. The BSB is a limited edition for the UK only and is the same compound as the SP so will be a perfect replacement

So basically the BSB is exactly the same as the standard tyres on a 09 bike. So ive ordered them, and finally got a fanstaic price of £180 for the pair

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Get you're self up to Burn Out tyres in Clay Cross and tell Jim or Alex I sent you. He'll do you a bloody great deal and put you straight on any questions. Whilst you're up there can you drop a match in Jacks Interiors and burn the f##ker down with that bitch in it :twisted:

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't forget to get them filled with Nitrogen.

15. Why?

16. I think it's to with with the expansion of nitrogen....i.e it doesn't change so much as oxygen, so, while your tyre may heat up, it doesn't increase the pressure inside so much.

And to the original poster, yeah the BSBs are great for the road, I've done 4000 miles and 2 trackdays, and they are still fine on the road - not as good as they were by a long way though, the last trackday was really warm, and it seemed to kill them, but they still have plenty of tread.

17. Air is ~78% Nitrogen anyway, not sure about the exact coefficient of expansion of nitrogen and oxygen off the top of my head but am willing to have a bet it wont be big enough to make a difference at the temperatures tyres run at.

18. D41

D41

Nitrogen has a larger molecular mass than plain old air - this results in less "seepage" through the latex/rubber tyre compound. Bottom line - the tyre pressure will remain constant for a much greater period of time when filled with nitrogen. Plus they get to charge you a lot more for it! - Stick with air, as if you are in any way concerned about your own safety you're already checking your tyre pressures every week or so.

19. Not true both oxygen and nitrogen are diatomic molecules, RAM Nitrogen = 14.007; oxygen 15.999. The difference is in the molecular size that is important, N2 being 300 picometers and O2 292pm (figures are open to discussion). For this slight difference in size to be of any relevance the pores in the rubber that makes up your tyres would have to be smaller than N2 but larger than O2, I cant find any evidence of that anywhere and it seems unlikely.

This bit I totally agree with.

20. d8mok

d8mok

already bought them mate from cmc. Next thing is too get wheels off to be painted