675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum
?

What kind of problem caused this wear patern?

1. High tyre temperature

50.0%
  2. Low tyre temperature

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Low tyre pressure

75.0%
  4. High tyre pressure

25.0%
  5. Suspension problem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Driving style (ie low corner speed and early on the gas)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.

Tyre wear - Dunlop GP211

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by stamatisx, Oct 18, 2016.

1. stamatisx

stamatisx

Any thoughts about this kind of tyre wear? what could have caused it? Any suggestions to remedy this?
    20160924_135740.jpg

That was the tyre wear on the previous session
    20160914_192106.jpg

2. Incorrect pressures.

3. W_esty

W_esty

Try 3 PSI lower when hot with warmers on

4. stamatisx

stamatisx

Question is, why is that pattern only on one side and not on both? On the picture inside the spoiler I had higher PSI, on the first picture lower PSI. Shouldn't that have fixed the problem instead of making it worse?

5. W_esty

W_esty

What track was it at?
    My only experience is Snett for that kind of marking, was taking Corham RH faster and faster and should of lowered my PSI

6. gary1966

gary1966

I have had this with my Daytona 2013 675R I have tried all sorts £500 suspension work by mct dropped and raised pressures until the cows come home, IMO you won't stop it. Recently done Aragon but used slicks for the first time there's some proper long lefts fine while the tyre was new but during the 2 nd day started ripping the tyre like your pic, it's the same with new supercorsa treaded tyres fine when tyres are new but 2nd or 3rd trackday they rip, and my local track is Snetterton as said above corhams kills them but fine if tyres are new.

7. stamatisx

stamatisx

The track is this one: http://www.serrescircuit.gr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=134

Yeah that first picture was taken after 2 track days from their last session (6th) just right before I was going to replace them. So that might be the case...

8. gary1966

gary1966

Slicks worked far better than supercorsas on the Daytona, after four days they then started to chew on both sides.

9. I use these tyres along with the D212 and I rate them highly.
    Your photo looks like cold tears and possibly incorrect pressure.
    It took me a while to find out what works for me and I've switched 100% to Dunlops some years ago.
    You can drop the pressure on these tyrese very, very low but they need heat in them to keep them performing.

Here's one I wore down earlier :)

212.jpg

10. Sprinta

Sprinta

Hi Stamatisx, I'm only new to this site but have been running Dunlop 211GPa tyres for track days on my 675 for a while now. Great tyre BTW and way above my skill level to extract the best from them. Not keen to tick a box because its probably not that simple. Not that my answers are gospel but hey....if we all had all the answers we probably wouldn't be here I guess. I'm from Australia where ambient temps may be much higher generally and I'm not familiar with your tracks.
    Here come the questions...
    • What was the air temp approx?
    • Are you using tyre warmers? If yes what were the pressures F&R off the warmers?
    • Track - How many Right turns and how many Left turns?
    • How much roughly (haha I'd lie) do you weigh in you gear?
    • Have you had the suspension set up for your weight?
    • Did the tyre tear up from the first session or later in the day?
    • Have you recently swapped from Pirelli to Dunlop without suspension changes?
    Please don't confuse my questions with a level of ability that will solve your issue with a keystroke......but maybe with all our shared knowledge as a group we can get to the bottom of it. I agree with OS2 who looks like he's getting the best from his.:smileup:

• Like Like x 1
  11. This is an official Dunlop release and you can see the pressures are very low

D212.JPG

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  12. Sprinta

Sprinta

One more question Stamatisx, have you reversed the recommended direction of travel for those tyres?

13. stamatisx

stamatisx

• 30C
    • Yes, 33F, 29R (hot)
    • 9R,7L
    • 114kg
    • No, stock suspension, stock settings for track according to the manual
    • 4th session
    • Yes
    • Yes at the last session the rear tire was flipped
    • The session that the tire started looking like that

14. Mutl3y

Mutl3y

Hi,
    29 rear far to high, I run in inters and run 34 front and 24 rear off the warmers then adjust to this straight off track,
    i'm getting 4 days out of medium compound, maybe that's how slow I am :(
    Mut;)

15. Mutl3y

Mutl3y

I think cold settings for 211's are between 17/19psi fwiw
    Mut

16. Here's the Dunlop info on the D211

211.JPG

17. stamatisx

stamatisx

My bad, those were the temps from the Pirellis, I checked another video and my TPMS was indicating 26PSI on the rear during the session.

18. Sprinta

Sprinta

Yeah mate I should have looked at your details, Greece so temps are similar to Oz. Here are my thoughts but by all means let the track gurus chime in.
    33F is ok but 29R is too high. The Dunlops are a stiffer carcus and can tolerate low pressures especially if track temp is high. I think 23R hot off the warmers.
    Because the Dunlops are stiffer than the Pirelli's you have used previously you may want to adjust your suspension to be a little softer as well.
    You are probably stretching the capability of the standard springs at that weight and would recommend you get the sag set for your weight. The confusing thing is the wear pattern is one side and the track has relatively even number of left and rights. I'd recommend having a look at some of Dave Moss's videos as he is a guru with this stuff..https://www.bikeminds.com/thethrottlestop/motorcycle-tire-wear-patterns-explained
    Maybe send him some pics, http://feelthetrack.com/
    Nice video BTW:smileup:

• Like Like x 1
  19. stamatisx

stamatisx

Yeah since then I have upgraded my suspension to K-Tech DDS Pro for the rear with a 105 spring and RDS for the front. Haven't tested it yet.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sprinta

Sprinta

Nice one mate, I'm hearing great things about KTech...even better than Ohlins. The other thing that Dave Moss preaches is "Once you found a tire you like - stay with it" Dunlops have a larger diameter so chassis geometry changes fractionally as well vs the Pirelli's.