675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Unable to start

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by clydeguy675, Dec 11, 2008.

1. clydeguy675

clydeguy675

I've just come back from sea to find my 675 won't start. The engine is turning over but not firing. It has been kept in the garage with the exhaust covered and battery trickle charging over the last 3 months. Apart from checking the plugs...any suggestions?

2. its probebly gonna sound stupid, but have you tried topping up your tank with fresh fuel, or get fuel filter checked?
    i had a similer problem on my gixer, had to take off the tank , take out the fuel pump and filter, I found alot of shit in the tank and around the filter, just an idea.

btw i'm not a mechanic its just my game name ;)

3. clydeguy675

clydeguy675

Thanks mate, will give it a go. Hoping its not full of s**t being a new bike....only 2000 miles.

4. Stu

Stu

I know the battery has been on an optimizer but could it be the battery is goosed???? Can you try jump leads, prefrably from another bike or a car if the engine is not running. Alternatively, use a volt meter to see how much charge is in the battery which I think should be around 13v. Any less than 12.6 and I'd start suspecting the battery.

5. clydeguy675

clydeguy675

Thanks again for that Stu, I had the tank off yesterday....drained, plugs out and cleaned then used my boat battery to give the extra boost for starting. It took a while turning over but with fresh fuel it finally fired.....albeit sounding rough as!!! Don't think I'll be leaving it idle for so long next time.