675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Varied idle HELP

Discussion in 'General' started by Ff6022, May 21, 2018.

1. Ff6022

Ff6022

Hi guys. Just asking you more mechanically minded ppl. Long story, but here goes. Back 2015 I had a full system put on and custom map. When I picked the bike up the idle was to low so they adjusted it in the ecu. However of late I have noticed that at idle the rpm changes a lot. So I start the bike and rpm is around 1000rpm. But at different points in a ride it can go up to 2000rpm. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern either, it’s not like wen it gets warm it raises etc....... what could this be and how do I solve it. I only ask now as it can cause me to nearly stall wen I pull away as the rpm drops or sound like I’m being a tw*t revving the bollox of it.

2. StephenP

StephenP

My bike is a 2012 and I made a post about an idle issue, never actually solved it with ecu tweaks or the idle stepper motor, but I did fix it by fitting a manual idle. Idles absolutely spot on now, no issues.

3. ads

ads

Mine’s a 2009 and had a similar issue. After trying to sort it in tune ecu I ended up getting a manual idle adjuster fitted too. Now sorted

4. Ff6022

Ff6022

This sounds good. And I was considering it a while bk. but what ma the low down on the manual idle adjust? Easy to do yourself? Where does it mount? How often do you adjust it? Cheers for your response’s. Funnily enough mines a 2009

5. ads

ads

Yeah it’s fairly easy but I got a place to do mine as I couldn’t get the throttle bodies off! I didn’t have a long enough tool to get to one of the bolts. I was getting some other bits done so just left it to them. You basically fit a spring loaded cable which lets you adjust the idle speed by twisting the nob on the end. Mine comes down by the oil filler cap so nice and easy to adjust and is discrete. I hear they’re pretty useful for the race boys as you can keep your idle fairly high to carry slight throttle input through the corners but I’m not at a stage I need to worry about that lol.

It makes balancing the TPS a bit of a pain but I just got the bike warm and found roughly 1250rpm with the manual idle, let it cool down then ran the TPS procedure. IIRC TPS won’t reset if idle is higher than 1600rpm or thereabouts

6. ads

ads

You adjust every time you start the bike. You’ll need to up the idle when cold then reduce the idle when warm. The manual adjuster can mount with the auto stepper motor in place but I got mine removed as it was knackered

7. Lifeofriley

Lifeofriley

Little tip you can fit it without removing the throttle bodies but it is fiddly.

8. Ff6022

Ff6022

What’s the TPS procedure? I think I will order a manual idle today and fit it before I go away. I don’t want issues but need to understand this a bit more. Thanks for the help by the way

9. ads

ads

no worries. do you have tune ecu? you basically plug a computer with tune ecu into your bike's ODB2 connector (under saddle), select reset tps, turn bike on and let it idle til the little light in the corner of the tune ecu window goes green. should be that simple but sometimes too high an idle can cause it to not reset properly. you'll find a more comprehensive guide on here if you search 'tune ecu reset tps'. people also say you may not even need tune ecu and you just turn bike on and let it idle til the rad fan comes on. have a read-up about it so you're familiar with the process... but if i can do it, i'm sure you can!

10. Ff6022

Ff6022

I will do some more research. However been looking and can’t find the manual idle kit anywhere, so that might be a spanner in the works.

11. ads

ads

Give t3 racing a call mate. Or they may trade under spirit motorcycles now...

12. Ff6022

Ff6022

I posted that earlier and then though hang on I’ll try T3 and yep. All ordered and on route

• Like Like x 1
  13. StephenP

StephenP

Tony at t3 is pretty good. I spoke to Luca about my idle and decided it was best to go manual, remapping with them on Friday

14. Ff6022

Ff6022

My remap was done by them in 2015. They are good.