675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

vosa????

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by spike, Nov 26, 2009.

1. spike

spike

just curious who are these vosa dudes that have cars like the police?
    what do they have in the way of powers to pull people?
    and if so can they prosecute you?
    just curious as i seem to be seeing more vosa cars than police on the motorways
    can anyone enlighten me.
    is this more of big brother britain and its agencies that seem to spring up out of thin air without public consultation. :( :evil:
    the british public need to wake up from its apathy
    there! rant over lol

2. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I'm not sure what they are for. Do they just check MOT's and roadworthiness? I believe they can pull cars over and issue notices but i'm not sure about anything else

3. vechile operating services agency, http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/aboutvosa/wh ... m#P10_1905 they basically help to enforce road worthiness of vehicles, im a lorry driver and they're are you're worst night mare come true if you're lorry isn't fit for the road they have the power to seize your vehicle if unroadworthy and have the police turn up and arrest you but they do mainly seem to concentrate on the eastwern european lorry drivers but if you're driving a piece of shit whatever the vehicle be it car bike lorry they have the power to pull you over

4. henrymc

henrymc

In that case they are the good guys, because if a vehicle is not road worthy then it should not be on the road, Anyone remember a year or two ago when a lorry went through the central reservation on the M25 killing two bikers? I am not saying that the lorry was defective but when you have something that size and weight that IS defective that is the sort of thing that can happen.

5. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I think they are good, when you hear the frightening statistics of unroadworthy foreign lorries on our roads. But I bet they're a pain if you get stopped by them
    AND
    it is really annoying when you see their vehicles with lights on top and reflective stickers cos it makes you slow down and behave in fear that is a police car but then you realise its not! grr!

6. D41

D41

Just for comparison: The CHP over here operates inspection stations for HGVs, if the "All Trucks Enter" sign is lit, you drive in & file slowly over a scale. If the truck is overloaded or looks to be a bit dodgy then you can expect an inspection and/or ticket...but if it's overloaded you ain't goin' anywhere until the excess cargo has been transferred to another vehicle. Certain trucks, like those belonging to a reputed supermarket chain etc. are fitted with a transponder device that 'usually' allows them to bypass the inspection station if the device is giving them a 'green light'. It's quite an effective method IMO, although it can sometimes encourage less-than-stellar truckers to maybe take an overloaded HGV onto narrow & very dangerous mountain/canyon roads - not an attractive option!!

7. kingfixer

kingfixer

they operate just off the M4 near Bath, they always seem to be pulling lorries in off the motorway ,seen it quite a a lot !!

8. I dive past a VOSA weighing station situated on a motorway roundabout/junction. The cars sit at the junction before and select vehicles (Ive only ever seen them select lorries). As far as the law is concerned Im pretty sure that only the Police have the power to stop you. (Stand to be corrected on this) However im sure if a dodgy looking truck didnt cooperate the police would be there pretty soon, as there is a motorway police range rover at the site most of the time or if its not its not too far away.

9. Davetona

Davetona Moderator Staff Member

The last couple i've seen have had that speed camera sign in the rear quarter window, do they have cameras on board or am i mixing them up with those other police looky-likeys, Highways Agency vehicles?

10. Highways agency do not have any law enforcement rights as far as I am aware. There is no way I would stop for one of these.

11. Davetona

Davetona Moderator Staff Member

I always slow down when i see the reflective back end thinking it's the old bill, then speed up when i can read Highways Agency or Traffic Management on the bumper then slow down again if i see that camera sign only to speed up again when i think i'm out of sight/range or someone else is between me and them. So do they have onboard camera equipment or are they just signs? and if they have cameras can they use them and pass the film to the police to use against you?

12. andysjt

andysjt

i have seen a few vosa cars with the camera sign & have see one camera in the rear of a vosa car (Volvo estate )
    and a portable camera sign on the roadside next to it , but i don’t think its speed there after , i think its an ANPR
    set up , looking for un insured / un taxed vehicles . so it not a bad thing i/m/o

13. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I have spoken to a good friend who used to work in traffic and he has told me that as a driver, you are not obliged to pull over to Highways agency officer

14. The cameras are Number Plate Recognition computer linked, so if you have no tax,insurance or MOT,or if the vehicle is SORN or registered as scrapped, the registered or last know register owner will get a Notices of Intended Prosecution in the post. Just goes to prove that it's very important if you sell a vehicle to get the new owner to fill in the log book & post it to DVLA your self. It's not happened to me, but I know of those that it has.

15. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Good advice!!!!!! I've heard this happen to quite a few people!

16. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

It's my understanding that VOSA is a crossover point agency between the the old Ministry Of Transport bods and the Traffic Police.
    They are responsible for enforcing vehicle condition/unlawful mods/overweight etc as already stated. The worrying part is that when they were set up, they were made partially self-financing - a la Safety partnerships, - and we know where that led to don't we??

The theory was that they would proliferate and "bad" vehicle operators would face an ever increasing force of vosa-oids to bring them into line. The reality is the same as any other crime, they will concentrate on offenders that can pay the fine. Ridiculous but true.

P.S It's always a good idea to get a buyer to sign a bill of sale - and we all know that, but it's also a good idea to put a time on as well. Just in case you get a nasty photo in the post. :shock:

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It seems that their powers are increasing and they can stop vehicles in the name of traffic survey/management…
    http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/1966.aspx

While in UK this year I noticed that many organisations decked their vehicles out in semi pseudo police attire.
    :!:

18. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

It's very sneaky and annoyingly makes us all slow down!