675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

WARNING - Front Brake Failure

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Jap_Sti_3, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

OH! My :eek: :eek: :eek: word!!!!

Just heading out for a blast up to "Devil's Bridge" just got over "Ode Bet's" and turning right for dual carriageway and NO FRONT BRAKE............ :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lever full to the bar so stomped on rear and slowed her down, pulled over and was so chuffed there was not another vehicle to be seen. Had a look at the "NEW PAD'S" and the front right are not moving at all when the lever is operated.

Headed back home, slowly.............. and well Hacked off :( :( :(

I have only done 28 miles since the service at which I had new brake pads fitted.

Guess who will be on Philip Youles door step tomorrow morning at 8.30am :( Italy on Friday is now going to be a whole different ball game and the ride through the Alps Passes will now be tainted :( :shock: :|

This could so easily have been a totally different Thread written in my "Absence" :| :roll: :shock: :eek:

2. andysjt

andysjt

sorry to here that jap
    least no one got injured , bit of a brown trouser moment i think , will be keeping my eye on the front pads , incidently how many miles on you old pads before you had them changed ?
    also how long did you keep your original battery for ? my battery is starting to die, ive had the bike just short a year from new so exspected a bit more from the battery to be honest , but replaced it anyway with a new one £41 ? with LF technoligy whatever that is ,you have to fill them with acid yourself ?
    didnt want to take any chances going to france in 3 weeks so service next week

3. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Cheers Andysjt, the pads were replaced at first service 5050 miles in 6 months, 1 month snowed off.

The battery I have flattened once leaving heated grips on but still going strong as I have a Optimate which i use at least once a week.

I set off for Italy on Friday so could really do without this :x Plus will be late for work again so boss will be non to chuffed just can't risk it so will set off real early to get to the bike shop. :roll:

4. Rowly

Rowly

As i have already mentioned this clearly looks like a dealer error with the brakes.
    Not a situation that anyone would like to find themselves in, like you said could have
    been far worst scenario than a change of underwear, I would be inclined to phone
    the dealer to get them to collect your bike as it would seem unsafe to ride it at all
    Good luck ;)

5. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Sadley I need the bike sortong ASAP and if they need to collect no idea when it would be ready back brake is ok so will just take it steady going over. Thanks any way Rowly, plus I want to let them know how hacked off I am at being put in this situation in the first place :( .................... New skiddies on order :lol:

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Jap ,I did easter egg run last week end and found an ideal bike for your trip abroad :lol:
    Plenty of room for luggage and you wont get done for speading.
    Hope the bike gets sorted out for you :?

Attached Files:

7. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Cheers Ian, not another British Bike :lol:

Been thining about a CBR 900 RR ..................... just not the same though :?

8. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

WARPED LEFT DISC is the outcome, they have never seen it on a road going 675 :eek: . Happens on the track some times but not at 30 miles an hour. :? Usually caused by "Extreme Braking" Extreme Me :cool: :twisted: :ugeek:

Luckily its a "Warranty" job so pick up the beast tomorrow. :geek:

For my sins I have a Triumph Bonneville in white as a courteously bike :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Stu

Stu

Clucking bell. At least you know Triumph gives good warranty service. When does your warranty expire Jap. I'd be lining up that 09 for when it does.

I take it your little sortie on to the continent is unaffected now :?:

10. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Hi Stu, Yes the trip is still on but will have to take it steady down to London, new tyres, new pads & new discs now :?

Mind 245 mile run down should bed them in, may even have a pootle out tomorrow night just to check all is well ;)

Th Bonnie is going to be fun tonight :lol: :lol: :lol: White & Chrome :cool:

11. Graham H675

Graham H675

glade to hear ur ok and it's not to serious on the bike but main thing are ur well soiled pants in the soak cause the misses will kill u if it's dried on lol :lol: :lol: :lol: and don't forget the cling ons lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

:lol: Had to "Bin" the pants.................... went straight through :eek:

Can't wait to get the "Beast" back, mind the Bonni was great fun last night, picked it up with 385 miles on its going back with 700 :lol: :lol: :lol:

So much for just riding it home :lol: Had to fill it up 3 times but what a "Retro" blast, sits at 95 all day :cool:

13. Stu

Stu

Yep, yanking your arms out of the sockets.

I've thought of a top tip for your trip. Go to a camping shop and buy a 1ltr aluminium fuel/water bottle. At least you'll have a bottle of 10miles extra :D Alternatively, a small hose to syphen from a mates tank. I've just filled up today and I got 48mpg out of the last tank. 50miles urban and the rest motorway. The light came on at 141 if it's of any use to you. If France is anything to go by the filling stations were about 50 - 80 miles apart on the motorways.

Enjoy your trip.
    Stu

14. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Cheers Stu, Thats great info. I have the 1 litre water bottle but too narrow neck to fill with petrol, As for the hose will find some. I spoted a fag Ligter socket that fits on the lead comming off the battery for the Charger so will be getting that tonight just for recharging the mobile.

`4 hours to geting my Baby back :D :D :D

Just wishing the week away mate........................... :cool:

15. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Last time I checked I got 128 from light to light :eek:

Must be doing something wrong :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Wonder What :lol: :?

16. Stu

Stu

Yep, not using motorways. I normally get 112 - 124 before the light unless I'm on a long run.

17. andysjt

andysjt

hi jap
    dont know if you spotted it when we wnt to barmouth but i got a 12v fag lighter socket fitted i run my sat nav of it & can charge phone , got it of e bay fitted it peace of piss , but did get some srink wrap sleving to keep it water tight an had any problems with it

good luch with yr trip

18. Stu

Stu

Where's it mounted or tucked away. I have a TomTom Rider which is wired to the battery but I wouldn't mind a socket for the mobiles when we go away next month. Pictures please Andy :D

19. andysjt

andysjt

hi stu
    its wired to battery & out of the frame next to tank along with the optimate lead had to cut lug of to heat srink the thing but just crimp some new ones on when its in position then seal the join with srink .
    fix body of socket to frame with some black cable ties then you can twist it inside the frame when not in use same as you do with optimate lead

ill post a pick when i go in garage

cheers
    andy