675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Washed out front end

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveH, Aug 27, 2009.

1. SteveH

SteveH

Hi all,

Back from Donington trackday Monday. Had some time to stew over this. I had a couple of moments whilst out on track. I've had my suspension setup by a professional and the bike now rides much nicer but early on in the day I had the front end feel like it washed out slightly which seriously hampered my days enjoyment. Has anyone else had this problem. I'm currently putting it down to the tyres, they were up to temp when they washed out slightly but are coming to the end of their life. But can't get passed the fact it may be something I did wrong. Like I've said before I'm no Rossi/Foggy and am quite realistic about my meager ability which is why I reside in thenovice group, I'd just like to understand where I'm going wrong.

One of the guys I was with reckons I dont get on the power enough or early enough but I'm not convinced as I progressivley roll on the throttle from a trailing throttle up to apex then roll on from there. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

2. SteveH

SteveH

I take it no one has a clue then lol

Steve

3. I'm no expert either and the only experience of this was fixed when I replaced the front tyre. I figured it was more to do with the angle of the tyre being worn, however I'm sure throwing it into a bend stamping on the brakes and giving at a snatchy fist full doesn't help :) Not a nice feeling either way.

4. D41

D41

I think you answered your own question, Steve - the tyres are at the end of their life, AND the suspension set-up improved the way the bike rides. TBH I think the suspension was probably the main culprit - street settings are usually not good for the track, and vice-versa.

5. spike

spike

what tires you on steve?
    if there not so good you may have overcooked your front (blued it) hardened it and made it less grippy
    although you shouldnt of had that problem on the corsas
    did you check the air pressure? -to low tyre deforms too much and makes it feel squirmy too high the feedback feels vague and can make it feel like your about to low side

6. SteveH

SteveH

Yup on corsa's dropped pressures as recommended by tyre guy there to 31 front 29 rear. What does everyone else run on track then?

Having done another track/airfield day last week they are now sufficiently cream crackered so will be replaced shortly. Looking at the Battlax BT-003's. Heard great things about them so worth a shot.

Cheers

steve