675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Weights

Discussion in 'General' started by Anonymous, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous

Here's a list of the parts I've changed and the weights:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. D41

D41

How much did you spend to save all that weight??

3. i was wondering that too :D

4. Rowly

Rowly

I'm going to spend a few quid on a weight loss program for my Gixer??? I've joined weight watchers :lol:

5. I was wondering why you have gained weight with one front disk and lost it with the other? :? :?

6. D41

D41

- Good spot...doesn't sound right, does it?

How come you junked the fan, SiW...?
    How come you junked the pillion pegs.....? - Oh, never mind - already know the answer to that one!!! :rotfl:

7. SiW...you've done some radical bike lipo-suction there mate! :eek:

Errr...why? :erm:

8. Anonymous

Anonymous

I've no idea how much I've spent, I bet it's over 4 grand! It soon adds up.
    There are a few parts on the list that have added weight. The disks are made from a different steel to standard so I guess that's why they weigh more. Seems to be common for braking wave disks!
    I've junked the fan cos it never kicks in so why bother with one. If the engine does get too hot I'll just have to stop.

9. D41

D41

Just for fun I've made a few calculations:

Performance extras added + non-functional items removed.
    40lb in weight savings. Cost = 4000 quid.

Running the bike (on track) starting out with 1/2 tank of gas
    per session. 20lb in weight savings. Cost = er.....$6.00 !!!!! :smileup:

10. This doesnt explain why for one front disc you save weight and the other you lose it. Thats whats puzzling me.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous

Well I know what you mean and if you look the standard disk are not the same weight as each other. Most of the items where weighed on calibrated scales used to build aero engines at RR so I know they are cock on.
    Have you ever taken your wheels to have new tires fitted and not had the disks on the wheel? They wont balance the wheels if the disks arn't fitted. That must say something about how odd disk weights are!

Who cares how much it cost me, I love doing it and thats what counts :lol:

12. Agreed, if you can afford it and thats how you want to spend your money then go for it, dont matter what anyone else thinks.

13. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

SiW, I know it's cost you a packet - and I for one don't have the money or inclination to be this radical, but a BIG thanks for posting the weights before and after, it's a great benchmarking tool for anyone looking for kilo's saved v £'s spent.

Nice to see where an economic weight saving could be made if I wanted. Cheers! DG

14. D41

D41

You know, guys - I DID say "Just for fun" - I'm the LAST person to tell someone else how to spend their money, as I know how hard I work for mine....!

....I'm still right, though! :hole:

15. Wasnt aimed at you D41 :)

16. SteveH

SteveH

I'll second that. VERY interesting post IMO. Just wish I had the cash and the time to be that radical myself lol.

Cheers

Steve

17. Are you going for Superstock record then SiW? Any idea which circuit yet?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous

No I'm trying to get the lap record at the Nurburgring for a 600cc. Curently set by a lightweight Gixxer 6.

19. SteveH

SteveH

You'd best trade your balls of steel in for some lightweight titanium ones to then mate ;) The ring is an Uber cool place with almost an air of magic, but in the same breath very VERY dangerous. However I'm sure you know this already ;)

When you go. Stay at the Pistonclause (might not be spelt right) get into the restaurant and have steak on a stone, it's quite possibly the best way to eat steak IMO.

Good luck!

Steve