675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Well this is NOT the start to Triumph ownership i wanted!

Discussion in 'General' started by thetroublemaker, Jun 8, 2009.

1. thetroublemaker

thetroublemaker

So the bike went in on friday for its first service, 2 weeks to the day old, 600 miles on the clock.

There was a couple of minor issues with it, however the main one was the "kangarooing" at 4000-5000 rpm which made it ride badly.

Pure Triumph Woburn looked at it and reported that it was the ECU at fault having put it onto their demo bike and it doing the same thing.

However i had a Datatool S4 Red fitted to the bike which was done by a datatool approved installer, and Triumph are saying that this may have caused the fault and therefore it needs to come off before Triumph can warranty the ECU.

Grrrr. So i have a £8000 bike in a garage 2 weeks old that i cannot use at the moment and i may have to spend £500 on getting effectively a warranty on.

Datatool say take it to Onyertriumph as they are a Datatool and a Triumph dealer and may be able to help me,
    Bullpoop to say the least.

2. I thought they might have been a bit more flexible than that mate. :(

3. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

The bike is fantastic, it's sucj a shame that this has happened. Time to start banging the table.

4. is the datatool triumph badged?

if it is im struggling to understand why is wasnt looked at\fixed under triumph warranty?

5. thetroublemaker

thetroublemaker

No its not the triumph badged one, it is a standard datatool - FWIW the triumph one can be unplugged and disconnected pretty easily so isnt all that secure.

I am going to citizens advice tomorrow morning to get some professional advice, as i am not happy with this.

To be honest the bikes good, but as you can imagine this is something of a sour taste to have in your mouth at this point.

6. I know it doesn't help, but I would never ever fit an alarm to any bike again; They are more trouble than they are worth.

7. Alarms are trouble from start to finish. Mine goes off randomly when the bike is locked up in the garage. Sometimes I forget to deactivate it in the petrol station and it goes off when I climb back on. After about 10 months the beeper stopped working .. the lights would flash but it would make no noise. I got the whole unit replaced under warranty. It cost about £250 and saved me £50 in insurance premium. Not worth the hassle or money in my opinion.

8. thetroublemaker

thetroublemaker

Insurance companies have a different view on these things unfortunatly.

9. Graham H675

Graham H675

mine had to have a cat 1 to insure it

10. thetroublemaker

thetroublemaker

same as mine. which is why its shocked me that Triumph are being so err......"spiky" about this.

However, i am HOPING that my dealers get back to me today, i have offered a fair solution I think to this which would leave me happy with their service and not leave anyone suffering.

Waiting for the call :)

11. thetroublemaker

thetroublemaker

I think its only fair to the dealer to point out this has been fully resolved.

The dealer was Pure Triumph, Woburn being the supplying branch.

They misdiagnosed the ECU as faulty (albeit using what i would call logic, putting it on another bike).

Anyway the bike was sent to their Wellingborough "head office" branch, where their head mechanic Shane (who i am led to belive went to the US with Triumph to set up the operation there) was able to do something to the maps on the bike to sort out the issue - something to do with the adaption maps on the bike, i dunno.

Anyway, also he found the APM sensor was intermittently faulty as well, and so that was warrantied and replaced - the bike is EXCELLENT now and i am happy with the dealership and the bike, i am sans warranty on the loom, however there is nothing i can do about that, lesson to the wise dont touch new bikes lol!

As i say - its easy to complain about things, but not so easy to say when a dealer sorts you out, so there you go!

:)

12. Glad its all sorted and you can now enjoy the bike as it should be :)

13. SteveH

SteveH

Equally glad to hear it's sorted. I hope you've written a review of the dealer in the dealer review section ;)

btw troublemaker is your name Dave & do you have a particular soft spot for car audio :) ???

Steve

14. thetroublemaker

thetroublemaker

Yes and yes steve. i am now scared and interested both at the same time..........;)

Guess you are off TA? ;) if so who?

15. SteveH

SteveH

Been a while lol. I used to work at CAD. Unfortunately due to work commitments I now don't even own a car let alone have anything like a decent system in it. Haven't even had time to frequent the forum for what must be a year or so now. Went under (and still have the nickname) BiFf :)

Still in touch with Mike and the guys but having just had a little boy my time is kinda all taken up atm lol.

Steve

16. thetroublemaker

thetroublemaker

Aaaah the penny dropeth mr biff.

nice choice of bike dude!

shame you didn't get a faster colour though ;)