675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

what a scary thought

Discussion in 'General' started by spike, Sep 21, 2009.

1. spike

spike

Motorcycle news : General news You are looking at: Home : Motorcycle news : General news

Hit a cyclist? It's your fault
    New proposal "will not help harmony on the roads" says AA chief

Posted: 21 September 2009
    by Visordown News
    Licence to do what you like? IF A CYCLIST is in a collision with a motorcyclist then the law will state that the motorcyclist is automatically to blame - that's what could happen if proposals by an influential cycling association are passed.

The proposal by Cycling England will apply to any collision where a cyclist is involved in a collision with a more powerful vehicle is modelled on regulations in Denmark which are put in favour of cyclists.

But that's not all, as well as cyclists, pedestrians would also be not at fault if hit by a motorcycle or car. Under the idea the most powerful vehicle in a crash would automatically be liable.

Edmund King, president of the AA, said: "Many cyclists are motorists and many motorists are cyclists. Simple changes in the law that assume one party is in the wrong because of what they drive will not help harmony on the roads."

2. markirel

markirel

Chaos. Like motorcyclists, cyclists are vulnerable to larger traffic that fails to look for them but I can't help but think that unlike Denmark, our cycling discipline doesn't lend itself to such a scheme. Every day you can find cyclists running off pavements onto the road, riding without lights, ignoring one-ways and junctions... I've been guilty of most of this myself and to hold the motorist or motorcyclist responsible for collisions in these cases would be a gross miscarriage of justice. Sure there are genuine cases of careless/reckless driving that will cause injury but what we really need to get back to is a culture of personal responsibility. "You" **** up "you" pay the price. We're getting too american with our blame culture.

3. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

This country is going mad. If cyclists obeyed the laws of the road, I wouldnt have so much of a problem with them. They dont pay road tax, they dont have insurance, they cycle two or three a-breast up the country lanes, and frequently ignore the laws of the road. So if a cyclist doesnt stop at a roundabout when I am going round and crashes into the side of me. It's my fault?! This is outrageous

4. henrymc

henrymc

Something i have noticed in my work, that the general public have a sort of a lemming aproach to life or like they have no thought to look out for themself's and think that everyone should watch out for them rather than themselfs doing it,
    i work on shopfitting contracts in the high street and the amount of times when we are unloading a delivery onto the site, across the pavement that you get some numpty not seeing that there is a dangre to themselves is unreal,
    seems like the whole system is a F*** up,
    about time there was a law regarding personal awareness, ie the, Sorry i did not see you, statement, would be a admission of guilt, then they would take notice,

5. D41

D41

YESSSS!!! - That has been my first question on at least 2 occasions in the past where someone has hit my vehicle, OK maybe the 2nd question, after "R U OK?" - as soon as they respond "I didn't see you" (which is a kind of natural, albeit wrong response) then I know I've got something that's gonna seal the deal as far as responsibility, insurance, police report etc. EVERYONE should remember to ask this question (Didn't you see me?) ASAP when involved in a wreck, it can really make a difference, in my experience.