76.5%
  2. Super Unleaded 98 RON

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Higher or addatives

3 vote(s)
    17.6%

What Fuel?

Discussion in 'General' started by Godzilla, May 16, 2009.

1. Godzilla

Godzilla

Have you tried using different fuel? Did you think it made a difference and do you know how many tanks its takes the ecu to recognise the higher octane fuel? Or is the ecu not the smart?

2. only coz im a tight fekker :D , did try 98 ron but didnt think it made a difference....perhaps a longer trial is in order

3. SteveH

SteveH

Tesco's 99ron for me everytime.

Read a report in EVO magazine a while ago about different Ron's of fuel and apparently once the fuel is produced it instantly starts to lose it's Ron.

So the best fuel to get is the newest fuel you can find. For example a 99ron fuel bought from a very quiet garage would almost certainly have the same equivilent Ron as a low grade unleaded from a very busy garage.

In summary then. Get in the queue's for the best fuel chaps :)

Steve

4. Godzilla

Godzilla

Just wondered. However I have read elsewhere the Tesco 99 RON is not the way to go due the the addatives they use to boost the RON not being good for engines, although this was whils researching for my car.

5. Rowly

Rowly

I just use the standard 95RON, fuels expensive enough why give more tax revenue
    to this corrupt government and make the oil companies even richer :x

6. im beginning to think you have severe militant tendencies, mr rowly....do you not like our glorious government, those who spend sooooo much time making sure us lowly commoners are looked after financially and are given the best healthcare money can buy.. :lol:

7. Rowly

Rowly

Do I FCUK!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x

8. ill take that as a NO then :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. andysjt

andysjt

same here didnt notice a change

10. Rowly

Rowly

There's your answer, don't waste your money, the D675 is fast enough even on RON95 ;)

11. I read an article about this recently in Superbike. Unless the bike is set up for 98Ron then it actually has a worse effect as the fuel is set up for slow burn or summat...

I'll dig it out.

Ahh found it...

Take from Q&A Ride May 2009

Q. Will super unleaded give my Fazer 1000 more power?

A. There is no benefit whatever in running any engine on super unleaded where it isn't specifically demanded. Regular unleaded will be just fine in your bike. Super unleaded is needed where a bike is running a very high compression ratio or advanced ignition timing to prevent pre-ignition, typified by a tinkling noise when the engine is under load.
    Don't be taken in by the myth that super unleaded is somehow more potent than regular unleaded. If fact it burns slower and in a more controlled way to give a more even burn under high compression.

12. If the above is true how come I get +40miles more out of 98 than 95.

I've assumed that as it has a higher octane rating you just get more er 'bang' in the same volume so it goes further.

Either way I run 98/99 when its available and any old muck when its not.

13. SteveH

SteveH

For the amount of miles and money I spend on fuel for the bike I'll pay the extra 20p or whatever it works out on per tank, just incase ;)

Steve

14. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

+1. I've never tried higher RON fuel though, they could add carrot juice to it for all I know.

15. I use Shell V Power. I get about 130 - 140 to a tank. when I fill up with normal Unleaded I get about 120 miles!

16. Graham H675

Graham H675

run v power 99.6ron run it in all my petrol motors more miles to the tank plus a cleaner burn. as for power well i've only ever run the 675 on v power so can't comment but my pal run normal unleaded in his GSX-R 1000 for ages then put a tank full of v power in an noticed a diffrence. i noticed a diffrence in my car too and also the legend stoped fouling up the spark plugs sinced i used it in it

17. without double blind testing and part/full load dyno runs while measuring the amount of fuel delivered its hard to prove this either way.

the general "historic" consensus i seem to remember, is something along the lines of if your car had old fashioned knock sensors (golf mk2 gti for example) then you would get massive differences from 98 ron fuel.

with modern vehicles the fuel can often bring benefits, however they are often down to the detergents used as well as the fuel itself.

i found that in turbo cars V-power was a good increase, as i have done in my hot hatches etc. My bikes have both been dynojetted so far and i have found that they work well on V-Power, smoothing the running.

I would have to consider a bike engine capable of running to 14000 rpm and with a compression ratio of 12 or so as probably benefitting for superior fuel.

The way i have found it is you will EITHER get more miles from V-Power OR more power, not both at the same time - i.e. if the engine is used full throttle then it will give you similar economy but most likely a bit more grunt, and if used light load is likely to allow then engine to produce more torque, and therefore use less fuel, and for the 7% difference in cost if you get 7% more miles (which on a 120 mile range would be 129 miles to break even, so 130 would make it the same cost as the normal fuel - plus you get the detergent package to boot!

18. Graeme

Graeme

After reading this, I was curious whether RON 98 would make any difference as I'd always run RON 95 in all my bikes. I filled with two consecutive tankfuls (Esso), and I've not noticed any improvement on mpg.

To clarify, the D675 is used for my daily 75 mile commute, cruising at 90mph on the A3, with the tootle through Hindhead whilst they build the tunnel. I fill every other day, getting 149 before the fuel light goes on.

So I'll be going back to standard unleaded.

19. SteveH

SteveH

You need continuous use of a higher RON fuel. 1 tank full will do absolutely f-all to anything. A coked up engine isn't going to clean itself with a single tank of fuel. OK so coked is probably then wrong word but I can't think of another way to describe it atm as I have a crying baby on 1 arm and am in dire need of coffee since my little 'angel' has kept me up ALL NIGHT!!!

As I mentioned before, it also has a lot to do with the age of the petrol from the refinery to as to it's specific 'RON' rating. Old 98 Ron fuel will almost certainly have the same if not a slightly lower Ron than new 95 Ron fuel. Also it will have a certain amount to do with the state of tune and condition of your bike.

Steve

20. Graeme

Graeme

OK, I take your point.

I only did two consecutive tank fills, from a very busy garage (it's more usual to queue than not!). So I think that we can safely assume that it's RON 98.

The bike is a 06 model, which had 6.5k on when I bought it in May 08. I ride it all year round (although less frequently during the winter months) and it has always given between 145-150 miles before the fuel light comes on.

I've done over 8k in the year, with the 12k service being done in Nov 08. I take your point that it may be a bit coked, but given the usage, I think that this would be unlikely.

I don't feel that continuously fueling with a higher RON that recommended, on the off chance that I may improve performance, is for me. At some stage you have to stop testing and reach a conculsion. Two fills may seem early, but there was f-all difference on a very consistent test method.

So I'll be sticking to RON 95.

I appreciate that other riding styles may get different results.

Graeme.