675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

What to do in the smoke

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stu, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Stu

Stu

I'm taking the wife to London for her birthday over the Easter weekend. We are stopping in Covent Garden. Any ideas on what to see and do? We fancy the Tower of London but can't think of anything else at the mo. Any ideas welcome.

Stu

2. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Can't miss the London Eye :p. If you're in Covent Gardens for a good drink try the Porter House. Also theres a few river boats converted into bars the opposite side of the thames to the london eye; always good for a casual drink or two. Cant think of much else... hmm :roll:

3. If it's a nice day, from the london eye you can stroll along the south bank all the way to Tower Bridge/Tower of london...... there is usually plenty to see as you walk along there, street entertainers, galleries,PUBS.

In the evenings, Chinatown/soho is good for food and drink

Head west and have a look at Buck Palace etc....then have a walk through the park and then on to Harrods.

4. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Get on Train and go to Brighton................... owt to be out of that place LOL :eek: :geek: :ugeek:

5. Craig

Like Iron Urchin says... Harrods is a must, well not so much the shopping part... more on the exterior of harrods always super cars knocking around there. damn rich arabs :lol:

6. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

If you go to the Tower, it really is worth paying the extra shekels to go into the Jewel House. It''s breathtaking, just fabulous. The Imperial State Crown should be in there as it's not opening of Parliament. Huge diamonds and emeralds, it really is fantastic to see. Mind, why you should have to pay to see what you already own is another matter. Get there early as the Q is enormous.

7. Craig

I agree Edski675, is worth the visit.

8. I go to London every other week and never get to see the sights (apart from Big Ben that is round the corner from my office)! There are loads of shows on all the time, so there is always something to do in the evening.

In the day, there is:

Houses of Parliment / Downing St / Buckingham Palace (all near each other)
    St Pauls
    Madame Tusards
    The Eye
    Covent Garden
    Boat tours
    Bus tours
    There's a wierd little Chinese buffet place oposite Angel tube station. (it is vegitarian but dont let that put you off, it looks and tastes like meat)
    Leicester Square

etc, etc....

9. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Do you go down on the bike Only?

i'm off down to my mates in April just to pick him up on way th Europe........... :?

<ay call in on a few sights though the smoke :ugeek:

10. No, I get the train or fly (it is £240 to get a standard return to London from Preston but you can fly from as little as £50). I might think about using the bike in Summer but to be honest, there is only so much fun you can have on the M6,M6 Toll, M1 and M25!! and once you get into the city, the traffic is horrible. Having been down there a lot lately I understand why Londoners don't own cars.

That said, I have friends in Kent so do that journey in a car quite often. They also ride (996 and the new fireblade) so am definately riding down this summer to there.

Watch out for the speed cameras in the roadworks. There's loads of them.

11. Oh and a lot of undercover police cars on the M25 (volvo coupe, subaru impreza, etc)

12. Stu

Stu

I rode down to London once but never again. Mind numbingly boring on the motorway and as I didn't need to be in Croydon until the following morning, I rode through the center of London in rush hour. I saw a few sights but it's a bit scary on a bike for the uninitiated :(

13. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Done the City Run a couple of times coming back from Germany - just quicker to blast through city at night but still full of taxis on a mision and Billies looking to top up ther quoter :?

Used to lop 45 minuts of the trip from Dover to Chesterfield :D

14. Craig

Oh dear, Croydon... about a 5 min drive from me... difficult to trust leaving any vehicle parked there! :lol: mind you it's the home of Nestle, so not all bad things come from Croydon! ;)

15. Stu

Stu

Our firm manages Southern House which has 24hr reception. I actually parked in reception. I had to be in early to get it out of the building the next morning which wasn't good as I don't do early mornings very well :)

16. I'm actually in the Smoke right now, though now killing time before my train home at 3.30. What I didn't realise is that there actually is a Marble Arch at Marble Arch!

17. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice on OnlyOneWayHome :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will be down there in 3 weeks Friday 17th and can't wait ;)

18. Stu

Stu

Less that a week now, thanks for the input so far :D. Someone has mentioned the Rainforest Cafe. Anyone been? I fancy doing a tour of a disused tube station, prefrably the one with the Cabinet rooms. Again, anyone know anything?

Cheers

19. No, sorry. There are tourist information places all over the city, so anything you think of when you are there, you should be able to find out.

Just a thought, book your london eye trip in advance, it can get sold out and is worth doing.

20. What about going to the Ace Cafe while you are there? I think there is a tube stop not far away.