675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Wheels removal????????

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Rowly, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Rowly

Rowly

I'm about to change the tyres so advice needed for the removal of wheels please.
    Are there any special tools required ? I have torque wrenches and many sockets
    and of course an Abba stand, please feel free to guide me through any pitfalls
    I may come across ;) Thanks

2. Stu

Stu

I've only done the rear on this bikes which is very straight forward. Undo nut. Tap axle with rubber mallet until you remove it. Wheel drops and remove chain from sprocket. Loose chain adjuster 1st if you need the chain slack. One tip is to pry open the brake pads with some soft that won't damage the pads. This will push the pistons in and give you more room for error when putting the wheel back on.

For the front it might be worth removing the calipers from the discs. A very large allen key is needed for the front. If you don't have one then a bolt that fits in with two nuts on will undo the axle.

3. Rowly

Rowly

Thanks for the info Stu, Ive found out the size of the front axle allen key 17mm.

Its got to save me a wad removing the wheels myself for new tyres.

Ive been quoted £195 inc vat fitted for a pair of Bridgestone BT016 ;)

4. Stu

Stu

My local fitters charge £16 a wheel or free to a loose wheel so it should save you £30 - £40. Worth it IMHO but I'm a tight tyke :D

5. andysjt

andysjt

usualy free fitting @ c m c if you have the tyers from them , got to say there prices for tyers are competative too , if you talk to them nicely . so i never bother , i just let them do it .

but you haven't got the fun of doing it yourself then i supose

6. Stu

Stu

I once had both wheels off the SV650 with a bottle jack under the exhaust down pipe, paddock stand and leaning against the wall as the exhaust pipe was off centre. I was suprised it was trashed when I got back with the new rubber.

7. Rowly

Rowly

Managed to remove both wheels without to much drama and with the help
    of an Abba stand, my trusty old workmate, and a trolly jack just to raise
    the front wheel up to facilitate wheel removal,I didn't like to leave the front
    calipers hanging by their hoses so my workmate make an excellent support
    for them and doubled as a paddock stand while the new tyres were fitted.
    Everything is now back on with new Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's and torqued
    down to the recommended tolerances, job done.
    Thanks to Stu & Andy for your advice on this post ;) :)