675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

When Driving in the UK...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by D41, Oct 21, 2009.

1. D41

D41

August, 2005.

So there I am, happy to be back in County Durham for a few weeks.
    First morning there, off I goes to rent a car from the used car/rental place I usually use when in that neck of the woods.
    "It's a Rover!" enthuses a dodgy-lookin' bloke behind the counter.
    "Great!" sez I, privately thinking otherwise.
    Money & keys are exchanged and off I go, barreling through my small hometown with remarkable lack of consideration & driving skill.
    "Bugger!" sez I, "This thing has no petrol in it!" Fortunately, I'm right round the corner from a 'Filling Station', so off I go again - made it! Good stuff!

Me to lassie in station - "30 dollars er, pounds on #4, please".
    Bored lassie - "No pet, you pump the petrol THEN pay for it" - you dumb Yank git.

Off I go again, pumps me petrol & pays for it & then runs out coz there's a long line of cars waiting & my car is the one that's causing the problem.
    I hurriedly jump in the car, fastens me seatbelt and ....hmmm -
    THE STEERING WHEEL IS ON THE OTHER SIDE!! :shock: :shock:

:idea: :idea: Brainstorm!
    Sits in car looking at both my watch & the station shop (as if I'm waiting for someone), until all the cars waiting behind bugger off.
    Jumps out, runs around car, jumps in (on the RIGHT side!) & off I go again!! :lol: :lol:

2. kingfixer

kingfixer

:lol: :lol: :lol: I hope you explained you were an expat local!! (just to hide your embarassment) ;) :lol:

3. kingfixer

kingfixer

Good to be back D41 ? loving the weather ? enjoying the beer? bit of a culture shock?

4. D41

D41

Ah, that happened a few years ago, mate. - Always happy to be back, though - any country that considers Chinese 'take-away' to be "haute cuisine" is OK in my book!!

5. henrymc

henrymc

Now that is funny, :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    that story is worthy of Malakie McCort (Frank McCort's brother he who wrote Angela's ashes and Tiss)

6. superpete675

superpete675

Superb :lol:

I particularly like the part when you stay seated in the passenger seat :rotfl:

7. D41

D41

No way was I gonna admit to it... I was already getting funny looks!! - Best part was me putting my belt on & then holding my hands up to an imaginary steering wheel!