675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Yet another noob

Discussion in 'General' started by Edski675, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

Hello peeps :D

My name's Ed. I live in Shrewsbury. Here's my P&J, parked up in Ashbourne last month:

ai10.photobucket.com_albums_a127_Sythree_IMG_1823.jpg

I didn't know this site existed until just now, and I've had the bike for a year. I usually hang out on www.sv650.org - I used to have a SV many moons ago, but it ended up in that bike park in the sky :roll: My fault, I nearly followed it there....

Ed

2. JDB

JDB

Welcome and make yourself at home, its a friendly bunch, if sometimes a little quiet occasionally.
    Let us know if we can help with anything, and likewise chip in if you can put us straight on things!
    Good to see you and nice looking bike - but then we would say that!

3. Hello m8, welcome........ another masterbike.

Are they the T3 racing crash bungs on there???? did you fit them yourself? how difficult did you find it?

questions questions questions

4. Edski675

Edski675

Yes they're T3s. I didn't want to drill a hole in the fairing so there wasn't much choice - these, SkyKings or GSGs, and as I have a thing about buying British there was no contest. They're a great product. Yes I fitted them myself (mate helping). Easy really, just whip off the fairing and instal the mounts using the longer engine bolts supplied. You need a torque wrench to get the tightness right. One of the bolts was a right PIA as there's a locknut on the end and so you have to get your other hand into one of the darkest and tightest recesses imaginable.

I haven't crash tested them yet, but as I've dropped all my other bikes it's only a matter of time TBH :lol:

My bike is no 87 :D It has the T3s, a gel seat, and a TOR can. I have an Aero screen that I must get around to fitting. I've fitted Conti Road Attacks to replace those horrible Supercorsas, I hated the damn things, fine in the warm and dry but hopeless in the cold and wet, I am a world expert on rear end slides on them.

5. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Hey, welcome to the forum... looking good with the masterbike edition. SV_Justin is also a sv650 rider here, cant fault the sv :p Good to see a small accident hasn't put you off riding bikes and good to see you here! :)
    Any probs or suggestions don't hesitate to say; open to all suggestions - hope you find it a useful forum in addition to sv650.org :p

6. i've got a set of T3s that i haven't put on my Masterbike yet, and i agree with you about the supercorsas, mine won't last much longer hopefully

7. Edski675

Edski675

Craig, the 'small accident' wasn't very small. It was 5 years ago now, I bust my pelvis in 2 places, I spent a week in hospital, my bike was totalled, and if there'd been anything behind me I'd have been run over at 50mph :eek: I lowsided - grabbed brake in a corner :roll: Learned that lesson :D

8. Rowly

Rowly

Hi and welcome to the site, sorry to read about your accident ouch!!! but at
    least you come through to tell the tale,I hope it never happens to me.
    I believe you're the third member with a masterbike so plenty to talk
    about,hope you find the site useful as i have over the last few weeks
    they are a great bunch :) :)

9. Edski675

Edski675

Demise? I'm still very much alive and kicking!! I can still run even with a badly f*cked pelvis but put it this way, I lack flexibility in the frontal department!

10. Rowly

Rowly

oops sorry, of course your very much alive and kicking :mrgreen:

11. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

:?: Great to have you o board Edski675. Whats the bike like riding with the tank bag on :?: Off touring soon and not sure if to use mine or not. :?

12. Edski675

Edski675

Use it. It's good to lean on. I usually have a relaxed posture and try not to weight the bars, but sometimes it just happens and it's great to transfer weight to the tankbag. It's a great support. Mine's a cheapie from Aldi (£16.99) but it's really good. Comes with a strap to clip round the headstock but I never use it - it has 6 magnets on the bottom that clamp the tank really well, it has been speed tested :D

13. Craig

ouch, that's enough to be put of biking for sure. I admire your determination to continue; I've been lucky so far with riding not yet had the misfortune of such a bad thing. I would like to think I would be able to learn and move on like your outlook but sure would make me reconsider things. :roll:

14. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Cheers ed, will deffinatly be slapping it on for the tour as it gives me another 30 liters of space.

15. Stu

Stu

Careful with the tankbag Jap. I went down to London and was resting with my chest on the tankbag. It made my arms fairly straight on the bars. When I came off the M1 at the service station the exit road was a very tight bend. I found my arms had locked and stopped working and I couldn't steer. I nearly ended up in the crash barrier :D

16. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I am going to give the bag a blast out and see how I feel. i am just about to mount the rear seat bag and use that and with the paniers I think I will have sufficient space on the back. The other choice is to go with the old Rucksack but not to keen on that. Did Hamburg to Chesterfield a couple of times on the old CBR 1000 and it can get a bit wearing on the shoulders especially tun up all the time.

The paniers and tank/seat bag look and fit great they are the Oxford Sprint in Red (because they were half price no other reason).

17. Edski675

Edski675

Backpack = not a good idea - very tiring on shoulders and I find that the wind gets in between your back and the pack and makes it even worse. I occasionally work in Liverpool one day a week and I once brought some papers home in a backpack - never again. You're not going for that long. I'd be tempted to bring next to nothing, and pop into a hypermarket to buy cheapo boxers, socks and Ts, and throw them after a day or two to save washing and carrying. If you smell, well you smell :D

18. Craig

Really? I've not really had the need to transport things around, though always fancied the look and theory of the axio hard backpacks - anyone had any experiences with them? also surely if you come of the bike, the backpack would have an impact on your spine etc...??

Attached Files:

19. I've got one of the Kriega R25 backpacks which I find works well for wkend trips. The harness is a bit funky and makes you look like your going skydiving but it does seem to work better than your average non-motorcyle designed sack.

20. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I've lost so much kit out the top of my Rucki I'm sick of it, just got sorted with a tail pack but not fitted it yet looks a but big but willl do the job. I'll stick a couple of picks up when I've sorted it. :ugeek: