675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Hoping to race this year. Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Daza, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Daza

Daza

Hi

I own a 2006 675. Its pretty much standard. Ive replaced the can with an Arrow and put a tail tidy on but apart from that its as bought.

I'd like to give track racing a crack this year. I've found a novice group through 'No Limits Racing' that will accept my standard. I've done a number of track days in the past and I'm in the mix within the middle group.

I'm really just after some advice on how to set the bike up? What will I need to buy? Will I need new any/all of the following:

1. Race tyres? If so which ones?
    2. Tyre warmers
    3. Fancy brakes
    4. Will I need to remove the mirrors, number plate and indicators?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Daza

2. TripleJimmy

TripleJimmy Moderator Staff Member

I am no expert but have wobbled around a few times. I'd say tyre warmers are a yes, fancy breaks a no. Just get some decent pads, I used to use sbs race pads and found them good. You'll need full bodywork and remove the side stand. You'll need a rain light that is controlled from the bars (on/off) and a number. Has to be blue (I think) on a white back ground. On the front and rear of the bike. No road going bits a bobs allowed I.e. indicators number, plate hanger and so on.

You'll need to lock wire sump plug and oil filter. I think that's it unless you do endurance then you have to lock wire break bolts and a few other things too. Tyres I'd say just go with any good track day tyre, no need to spend hundreds on slicks or anything to fancy starting out.

You will have to drop your coolant and run water only to.

ACU licence and a bib also needed for yourself.

Spend some money on the suspension. Stock stuff is fine just get it serviced and properly setup for you. If you have the cash maybe get it reworked. A quickshifter and slipper clutch will help but, not essential.

Probably forgotten loads. There are some really experienced guys on here I am sure someone will be along soon.

Oh if they are not already you will need to run race break lines on the front. It has to be one line to each of the calipers removing the cross over.

3. suspension as stated. clean your brake discs off with wire wool hoy your pads out front and fit sbs dul carbon,coolant out fresh clean coolant water only in. lockwire sump plug drill 2 mm hole in same with oil filler cap lockwire filler cap to nearby point jubilee clip round oli filter lockwired to sump, rainlight . wets on wheels, racetyres not slicks,make sure bell,pan sutible got mine from skidmarks good fit,spares clip ons levers in case gets binned

4. Stu675

Stu675

I would check if No Limits (or whoever you go with) specify a particular tyre before you spend money. Same with all their regulations.
    Good Luck

5. o forgot take sidestand off and bypass switch obvious

6. we are testing and racing at Brands Hatch March 26/7/8th pop along and we will try and walk you through the in`s and out`s of the bike and what you will need to go racing .

Don't forget front and rear paddock stands

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. 1. Most NL classes are sponsored by Pirelli/Metzler So you will need those.
    2. Yes. Warmers are a must. Paddock stands too.
    3. No need just decent pads, fluid and brake lines provided your master cylinder and calipers are in good condition.
    4. Remove all road kit. Lights, mirrors, sidestand, etc. Fit race body work.

Get your suspension serviced and built to suit your weight.
    Have a spare set of wheels/disks with wets on and practice changing wheels.
    You will need a generator to power the warmers.

Anything else you're unsure of, just ask.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Daza

Daza

Thank you for all the great advice. At the moment I'm leaning towards buying a separate track bike that I'll just keep for racing/track days. I want to keep my 675 for road use. I'm certainly not gifted in the mechanical department so even the small jobs will take some effort. I don't want to have to keep removing then attaching all the road kit.

Good plan or daft as I'm a race novice? I've seen a few 600cc bikes for around £1200 that have warmers/stands etc included. That might save me buying all the necessary equipment separately.

9. Pablo Pirate

Pablo Pirate

Bike wise as mentioned above - You will also need a front brake lever guard.
    White number boards with blue numbers - front and both sides.
    Transponder - you can hire on the day.
    ACU course - ACU License.
    No Limits membership.
    ACU approved helmet, back protector, decent leathers, boots and gloves.
    Tyres for newcomer is Pirelli or Metzeler, cheaper to buy from James Powell (NLR).

http://www.nolimitsracing.co.uk/classes-regulations

Have fun and keep it pinned!

10. Whilst they are a good idea, they are not mandatory in club racing. Unless it's a specific NL thing. It's not in the ACU Handbook.

11. Pablo Pirate

Pablo Pirate

Requirement in NLR.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Daza

Daza

Thank you all for the advice. I have some decisions to make and money to spend!