675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

eBay seller moan...

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Deleted member 2280, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Deleted member 2280

Deleted member 2280

Well, today I had my first ebay shocker from what I thought was a decent seller. This morning I get an alert that a certain bike is for sale, I call the owner and speak for 20 mins, agree a price and standby for additional info and how to transfer monies etc. I notice the item is taken offline and I wait..and wait... so after a few hours I ask how's he getting on with the email etc only to be informed "I forgot to unlist and someone pressed the buy it now button"
    Anyway, I inform him we have a deal and I would like him to honour it but no joy...

On the plus side, first bad experience in over a decade of ebay - not impressed as it was a cracker too :(

2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Bad luck 0S2. What was the bike please ( just being nosey, obviously.! ;)) )

3. Deleted member 2280

Deleted member 2280

I know but don't was to say what bike as the search continues :)

4. Stu675

Stu675

You mean you were trying to pull a fast one and circumvent the proper eBay rules and you are getting upset that another buyer and the seller are doing it right?
    Or have I misunderstood?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Without wanting to be devil's advocate, I kinda agree. No deal until money changes hands I'm afraid. Ok you could have paid if he'd been quicker with his details. That may be why he didn't initially contact you back.
    Ok you had an agreement with the seller, outwith ebay I'm guessing and a lower price?
    Someone else (he says) hits buy it now, he gets his price, deal done.
    If you wanted it that bad, you could have hit the 'buy it now'. I know you wanted the best deal (don't we all) but in this case the seller hasn't done too much wrong IMO.
    Keep yer eyes open though. It may be relisted in the near future ;)

Whilst we're on the subject of ebay. Last week I was winning an auction for an exhaust for my wee Aerox 100. No luck though, outbid at the last minute. By a new account with zero feedback. Hmmmm alarm bells ringing. Ah well, it happens :(

Lo and behold a few days later a 2nd chance offer.........??? :eek:o_O

It's a Technigas exhaust. New ones are circa £100. I was winning the auction at £56-ish but was outbid and it 'sold' for £74. Just over my max bid.
    So do I want to buy it for £73.78? Not really when I can get a new one for £95. So perhaps, if I was bid up, he's lost his sale for the sake of £20. Me, well I may have missed out on a wee bargain (out of principle) but for the sake of another £20 or so, my scoot gets a nice new spannie ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Deleted member 2280

Deleted member 2280

Nope, nothing dodgy outside ebay or lower price as I agreed to pay full asking price after confirming some details about the bike. After the call I clearly stated that I would buy the bike for the full amount.
    Seller stated he would stop the auction and I would pay a decent deposit via paypal with the rest via bank transfer as per the listing.
    The fact is I should have hit the 'buy it now' button as @trackdaybob stated - lesson learnt and all that :)

7. In that case it's just a harsh lesson learned I'm afraid :( Imagine you hit the 'buy it now' only to be told "sorry mate, sold it already".
    Ultimately, he's obliged to honour the ebay sale. Not that that makes a difference to some sellers.
    When I bought the above mention Aerox, we chatted on the phone for 15 minutes and I hit the 'buy it now' there and then. Got myself a tidy bargain.
    Hopefully the next time you stumble on this 'mystery bike' (I'm dying to know what it is by the way) on ebay or elsewhere you'll seal the deal :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Deleted member 2280

Deleted member 2280

I've actually received a nice message this morning from the seller, so lets see what happens when the buyer turns up.
    Yes, I can see it from the other angle and wouldn't be happy if I'd bought it and was informed it wasn't available any longer.

9. So, come on then, what is it?

10. Deleted member 2280

Deleted member 2280

Still not over yet as I'm holding out that it may come my way :)

11. Rossgo

Rossgo

Its a shame but it happens! Hope you find another clean example soon

• Like Like x 1
  12. D41

D41

I'm with OS on this one....a deal is a deal as far as I'm concerned...that, plus he actually spoke to the guy...not some nameless tw@t on ebay 'promising' to pay/buy.....reeks of the seller trying to protect his eBay rating.