675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

More on tyres

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by superpete675, Oct 16, 2009.

1. superpete675

superpete675

Hey guys, I'm currently riding on the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III. I just can't get comfortable with them enough to push the bike harder and get more degrees of lean - they don't warm up as quickly as people claim, turn-in is nowhere near as good as on the Supercorsa (just plain dangerous in London) or the Pilot Road 2 (but it's a touring tyre) and too much tread flex from the front tyre even at 34psi. Of course, it could just be me - I do have the chickenstrips to prove it!!

Anyways, I need to invest in a new pair of tyres. I've only ever been told good things about the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and Dunlop Qualifier RR.

Does anyone have any views/recommendations they can share?

Thanks

2. ive fitted the bridgestone battleax bt016 miles better than the stock tires for me.

3. redseven

redseven

I suppose it depends on your riding style. Some people prefer the pointy profile of a Bridgestone, when the bike leans in on the tire angle. Others prefer a rounder profile such as Michelin? Where you use a bit more opposite lock to turn in. Unfortunately it's all a bit trial and error. I have known the same brand of tire work on some bikes which didn't work on others.

4. i have the BT016's as well love the feel and feedback i get from them

i do alot of commuting but they are very sticky for the twisty stuff asl well

5. Penfold

Penfold

Can't get on with the tyres on mine either (supacorsa sp). Have been out alot lately while there's no rain and pushing bike hard but still have chickenstrip's! Gonna go to FWR Tyres in kennington and have a chat with them, used them before and great service / knowledge. Also a far price for pairs.

6. SteveH

SteveH

Was going to put Qualifier RR's on mine recently having used them before on my last bike, but got talked out of it by the guy who sorts my tyres out. I got a set of Diablo Corsa BSB's fitted in the end, and yes they will be useless in the wet, but I didn't buy the bike to get it, or me wet. It's a toy and as such I'm not fussed about the length of time the tyres last either, 1-1.5k is a good run for a set of tyres for me :)

The Qualifier RR's are a fantastic tyre really do recommend them but as the 675 was designed around the Pirelli then I'll stick to them for now. Also heard great things about the Bridgestone Battlax BT003's but they are A LOT of money compared to other brands.

Cheers

Steve

7. superpete675

superpete675

Cheers for the posts guys.

A lot of my riding is similar to yours Andy so it's good to know you and Godzilla rate the BT016 tyres.

Steve, let us know how you get on the new Corsa BSB tyres. The BT003 tyres look wild but I doubt I could ever do them justice unless on a trackday (which I only ever manage to average about twice a year despite always wanting to do more!). Anyhow, you and I share the same sort of mentality towards our bikes but mate, when you live in the UK, I've learnt that there's always a good chance of getting caught out in the rain :D

8. Thats OK for u southerners, for us up norht there is always a slim chance of getting caught out in the dry lol

9. i bought my masterbike in march this year it had brand new corsa 3's on it i rly liked them they took seconds 2 heat up and was gd in the wet but i recently got a supercorsa bsb rear tyre fitted it takes quite a bit for it 2 heat up correctly but the bike feels as smooth as silk and u rly feel it digging in hard which i like,me personally they are 10x the tyre to the corsa 3 and i will be gettin a front 2 match asap,i also do alot of commutin in all weathers and i find the supercorsa grips better and is harder to spin the back wheel in the rain than the corsa3 was,hope this helps

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been running super corsa pro since 06 and have done track days on them, thrashed around the roads here in Sweden and even rode to UK & back twice.
    They do take a bit to warm up and I don’t commit fully to cornering when roads are damp/wet but I could say that about any tyre.
    I recently acquired a set of Dunlop qualifier RR for a decent price and will be trying them next summer so I will have something to compare the OEM tyres against next year

11. redseven

redseven

Roads are better in the Midlands and the North coz no one wants to go there.

12. D41

D41

HAHA! - Like everyone's making a 'bee-line' for Essex!!!!??

13. some bloody good roads in essex (The English Rivierra), just a shame that the old bill know where they all are.

14. redseven

redseven

Seriously there are some blinding roads in Essex, but like you say, the old bill has lowered the speed limit and put camera's on them.Essex traffic police are hot at their game. Suffolk roads are good too.

15. superpete675

superpete675

Just the worst luck ever!

Okay, so I settled for giving the 2CTs a try (figured the extra tick they get in the wet is good for this time of year) and got the boys at FWR to slap on a pair. I rode straight home which isn't even 4 miles and :eek: would you believe it, theres a great big nail sticking out of the tyre to greet me as I hop off the machine... :cry: Okay, it was a small nail but I figure I have to say big for effect...

16. redseven

redseven

Sorry I went totally off topic there for a change :roll: Bad news about your tire Pete. Can you get it plugged or has it gone in sideways?

17. superpete675

superpete675

I think I'll be able to get it plugged as it was right in the centre of the tyre, I hope. Oh well. I'm still excited though because I got a great deal on some new rearsets (rizomas) and really like the look of them. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. redseven

redseven

If they feel right, go for it.

19. spike

spike

i love the oem corsa tires come rain or shine i think they have outstanding grip but i think most people dont like them because they look like semi slicks with no tread on the edges so think they will let go in the rain.
    unfortunately though i will probably replace my corsas with 2cts next as they dont last me long enough to warrant the cost, i am after something that will get me 4k+ next lol
    but sticky enough to let me go mach 2 through the twisties ;)

20. redseven

redseven

Those corsa's seem to warm up well in this cold weather.