675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

No bike for 4 years and then a 675 tomorrow

Discussion in 'General' started by OnlyOneWayHome, Nov 27, 2008.

1. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Hi All,

Just thought it would be good form to introduce myself (even though I have already made a couple of posts).

I've not had a bike for the past 4 years following selling my GSXR600 to pay for my wedding. I've been saving up for a bike for the past 2 1/2 years and I get an 07 675 delivered tomorrow (I was going to ride it home but the weather is so bad at the moment I didn't want to risk it).

I was wondering, is there anything I need to look out for with the bike? It's a standard spec and the dealer has serviced it today. I've heard about the oil drinking, cam tensioner at 7k and no grip in a lean in the wet with the standard tyres but is there anything else?

I can't wait till tomorrow, I feel like a kid on Christmas eve.

2. Stu

Stu

Hi and welcome.

Normally the are very good and reliable. Having said that, mines off the road with either a duff alternator or voltage regulator. It's getting collected on Saturday so I should have it back sometime next week.

Stu

3. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

I rides brilliantly. the only couple of questions I have are......

My hi beam light keeps steaming up

and

The spring on the side stand looks rather weak. Does it on all of them?

4. Stu

Stu

Ooh, look at you. What's red and throbs between your legs :) A 675.

On both of mine I've had a little bit of steaming up in the headlights and never done anything about it. The spring on my stand is fine. If it holds it up then it's fine.

5. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to the site, glad to see new members still joining and new 675 riders...
    How is the bike (I'm assuming you've picked it up by now)? up to expectations?

On a side note there's a few plans for this site to encourage people from the UK to join; it's really only due to lack of time recently on my behalf things have slowed down a bit (apologies all). Roll on 09 and expect changes for the good of things :)

Back on track; hope you find this site useful and continue to visit on a regular basis!! :)

Craig

6. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Thanks Craig,

Got the bike Friday morning, went out Friday afternoon on it. Sat was freezing fog all day and today has not raised above 0 degrees, so I'm hoping for some nice weather so I can go out again.

The site is great and usefull. What about piching it to all the triumph dealers?

7. Craig

It's a terrible time of year to ride, if it's not raining it's freezing cold; nothing like getting off the bike with your hands frozen in the grip position... roll on summer! :) After 4 years of having no bike; did it take long to feel comfortable to ride again? (if you get what I mean??) :)

Been looking at a few advertising possibilities for the site, mainly trying to keep it ad-free here so we're not hit by the commercial bug... January will see a few more changes e.g. giveaways and more advertising (google/facebook etc...) It's just a time thing; meanwhile I'm open to suggestions / improvements to the site if any :)

8. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

It was the slow stuff that was hardest as the fear of dropping the bike is there. I also found flicking the bike back in again after an (albeit slow) overtake. Other than that, it was just like second nature. I do think that my observations need to improve again though, so looking at doing a IAM course.

I really like the "ad free" concept. There is nothing worse than loads of ads on a site, especially as subconciously you often feel that the site has recomended them, when they haven't!

Paid Facebook marketing is OK but it markets to the masses and this being a site dedicated to one bike means that it only has a very specific audience. That's why I thought that to speak to the triumph dealers and ask them to mention it to every one who buys a 675 off them. The other is to get a mention in a magazine like Bike. An editorial / story would be good. I would presume that Triumph /RAT have a list of 675 owners, is that something you could get hold of?

9. Craig

The IAM's course is fantastic, I certainly would recommend it to anyone. Is also a very good way of meeting other riders gaining good experience. I guess even with a long period of not riding things fall into place very quick again.

With paid marketing I've always found Google to be the best as not only it's displayed on page one in the search engine, it also displays it on the ad network on other sites etc... very handy! Just reactivated the campaign again, I had it running for 6 months at the beginning of the year. I'm always looking into advertising; I've gone down the 'RAT' route no success so far doh! :) Though like you say contacting the dealers may be a good help.. will look along that route... either way though this site will be here for years to come! :)

10. Stu

Stu

I still think eBay is a good marketing tool. Sell www.675.cc stickers and the site will be advertised everytime some searches on '675'. Sneak but it works.:)