675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Warning for track days

Discussion in 'General' started by redfreddie, Jul 15, 2009.

1. redfreddie

redfreddie

Hi everyone,

Just a quick warning, from my experience at brands the other week !!

I was going to use my bike, but as i knew i was going to be selling it i changed my mind and used a hire bike from the trackday organisers. What a great decision that was :D

There were about 5 accidents in the morning sessions, one guy wrote of a brand new CBR600 and had no track day insurance, another guy got knocked off his bike by someone stuffing his bike up the inside on a corner trying to be rossi, he clearly wasnt and touched bars bringing them both off the bikes !!

I myself, having done quite a few trackdays, came round paddock and down, then up the hill where everyone had packed together and slowed up, leaving me knowhere to go apart from into the gravel trap with rear wheel locked up. I managed to stay on the bike but with all the [email protected] kicked up from gravel i did dent the fairings and the tank when i put it down in the gravel to get off track to sit out that session.

The point is just be carefull if you take your pride and joy, I would have taken mine and would have damaged it and the other guys did damage theirs, esp the poor guy who wrote off his CBR !
    There were a few idiots out there who seemed to think it was a raceday, and i had people overtaking me then cutting across me and taking the next person from the other side and basically being stupid. Its not always what you're doing but what other people are doing, you wouldnt have believed the stupid move put on the guy in the corner that resulted in them both crashing,

Enjoy trackdays but think very carefully before using your own bike without some trackday insurance :D

2. Good post and I appreciate it. Trackdays are always a risk but so is riding on the road. The name of the game in both cases is watch out for the idiots. We havd them at Donington 27 May but I stayed away from them. Gap insurance return to invoice is always useful!

3. Wouldnt you also need trackday insurance as well as Gap insurance?

4. mark mac

mark mac

...not if you drag it onto the road.... ;-)

What group were you in? intermediates? I'm just wondering what group the idiots tend to be in....

5. redfreddie

redfreddie

I was in the beginners group as i feel safer being one of the quickest in the beginners group than one of the slowest in the intermediates ! But on this occasion there seemed to be a few idiots about, the rules on trackdays are that you dont overtake/undertake on a corner, you leave plenty of room when overtaking and generally just respect each other. The other week people were disregarding the rules hence the 5 accidents, 3 in the beginners and 2 in the intermediates i think. It is up to the organisers to make sure that everyone keeps to the rules but that day it seemed they werent bothered, despite saying in the briefing that anyone riding like an idiot would be taken off the track.

Don't get me wrong though, I love track days, they are superb fun, just wanted to warn people who take their own pride and joy out on track without insurance as the guy who smashed his CBR up was gutted as well as injured ! As for the guy that got knocked off on a corner, he was injured and missed the rest of the day as well as having his bike battered up, and he did nothing wrong at all apart from be knocked off by some idiot slicing underneath him midcorner and taking them both out !

I appear to be ranting so i'll stop now lol ;)

6. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I could only find one broker for trackday cover - Pit and Paddock - but it was hideously expensive and they excluded what they called 'the pretty bits' - and those were the bits most likely to get mashed, so I didn't bother.

7. Ther is normally a 5 foot rule - the clearance you are supposed to give other bikes whilst overtaking.

I hated being one of the quickest in the numpty group and so am moving to inters for Mallory, but I have done the track before.

We had a couple of idiots at Donny. They took any old f'cking line they liked and eventually, one of them T boned a new GSXR1000, of course with no liability. I'd have got up and kicked the shit out of him and what was left of his bike!

8. SteveH

SteveH

Yup yup I wouldve to!

Steve

9. I have to agree that it is up to the organisers to make sure people behave themselves. However the marshals are the people who can see what is going on around the track and so should report back to the pits so action can be taken against the idiots who choose not to abide by the rules. Just out of interest who were the organisers on this occasion.

Midgeman.

10. SteveH

SteveH

I think the main problem is you get trackday 'heroes' on a grands worth of scruffy R1/6, gixxer, blade, ZXR, and they couldn't care less about their bike if it gets dropped they just whack another £50 fairing set off eBay on it and away they go. The only way I've seen this avoided is by having trackdays dedicated to slightly nicer bikes with people of the same attitude. Ducati owners seem to have it right. Sure it may seem elitest to some but I personally just view it as careful.

Steve

11. kingfixer

kingfixer

Just out of curiosity how much is 'track day' insurance has any body paid for it :?:

12. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Around £450/day. No I didn't pay, I took the risk. On my 675 :roll:

13. kingfixer

kingfixer

£450 !! jesus :eek: :eek: i havn't done a track day yet but when i do i'll take the risk as well i think.

14. SteveH

SteveH

It does seem a lot trickier to get insurance on bike trackdays I never struggled at all in my track car. I guess it's a bit easier to completely total a bike though.

Steve

15. Isn't it a lot cheaper to hire a bike from the track (I presume the insurance comes with the hire)?

16. You can do a California Superbike School day for less than that :/

17. graycat

graycat

t'is a risk you take I suppose.

Personally I don't ride at 100% on the track unless I'm out on my own I suppose. Keep it to 95% and you'll have that extra 5% spare to deal with any idiot you happen to meet.

So far I've been pretty lucky and haven't had any dealings with idiots on track. Must be coz I'm so slow!! :D lol

18. kingfixer

kingfixer

Having never done a track day yet, im just worried about looking a complete twat when you get on the track ;)

19. redfreddie

redfreddie

The Trackday organisers on my trackday at Brands were focused events to !

This year if you do a focused events trackday they have a great deal on hiring their bikes as its the last year they are using them before the new ones come in for next season. I paid £145 for the day on an R6, you also pay a £500 deposit in case you trash the bike, but its all returned if there is no damage, so ultimately if you did trash it far better to have trashed their bike and lost £500 than to have trashed your own bike ;)

SteveH, you're bang on about the track day heroes with £1k bikes, they dont care what happens to their bikes and hence are quite often the idiots going gung ho round the track trying to be rossi !